Corsaro - Gran Passo - Scrambler - Sport

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
MickeyMoto

Corsaro - Gran Passo - Scrambler - Sport

Post by MickeyMoto »

I've had the Corsaro for three years now and have really enjoyed it. It has taken 12000 miles for the engine to loosen up but it uses no oil (never has done) and starts first time even after a winter lay up.

Now, if I traded for a 'lesser' engined 1200 would I be disappointed? Looking for a more roomy cockpit.

Mike.
corsaro chris

Re: Corsaro - Gran Passo - Scrambler - Sport

Post by corsaro chris »

NLM have just taken delivery of a 1200 Sport with few miles on it... Worth a punt?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Chris,

Would I miss the 'extra'power and torque of the Corsaro is my worry. The Corsaro engine is just brilliant.

Mike.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Mike;

You wouldn't know until you tried it :wink:

Certainly the Corsaro feels uber veloce after the Gran Passo, but that could be because of the lack of fairing on the latter, which takes away much of the feeling of speed. In addition, I know that I ride the GP with a little less brio! Of course, if you want more comfort you could always try a BMW (but I don't think many on this Forum - with some honourable exceptions - are old enough yet...) :lol:

I rode a Sport some years ago now down at 3X and it certainly didn't feel slow then

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thanks Chris,

I suspect the difference is in the upper reaches of the rev range. I'll have to try one. Maybe I can have both! Maybe not....
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi Mike.

I didn't use my Corsaro much last year as I collecting to get the money to repair it, which was actually cheaper than expected and the bits were available.
But it's different his year. I used her to go down to see my Grandkids in Northampton and took my usual route down the A6 most of the way. Even through the centre of Manchester. Where it caused quite a stir. When I dropped into Miky D's for a coffee I was surround by youths who wanted to know what it was if it wasn't a |Speed Triple. In the very Centre of Manchester a Police van rolled up next to me and the Boys in Blue wound down the window and 3 of them discussed the beauty of the machine I was riding. Naturally it was up to speed on Insurance, MOT and Tax. (Thank Goodness) Spent all my life with TAX discs and now they have pulled them. Confusing for me.
Well it was a great ride down, good weather and a chance to appreciate the machine again. You never get used to that amazing torque, well I don't, it's intoxicating.
Last but not least when I pulled up outside my sons door in Northampton a young lad on a Chinese V Twin pulled up and was almost lost for words in his admiration of the Corsaro. His bike had a sort of MOTO***** something name. Anyway I suggested he look into MM.
To cap,it all my daughter in law said, "That's a nice bike."
I was going to sell mine but.....................................................
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

The Corsaro on Shap, on the way back.
Attachments
IMG_0175 (1).jpg
IMG_0175 (1).jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 22691 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi George,

Long time no hear.. I agree that the engine is special. 3 weeks ago I did a weekend in France, 1500 miles (including 650 on the Sunday). Bike behaved impeccably, fuel economy was good (10 miles/l) and I was getting 150 plus between fill ups. I noticed it pulling from under 2000 rpm a few times in top gear with no snatch. I was at the back of a 4 bike train so had to go a bit sometimes to catch up when the front guy is doing 70mph constantly. As for the handling, it is something I take for granted. It is best descried as neutral. A great all round bime that deserved to sell in greater numbers. However, I think the 'lesser' bikes would also do the same but have a bit more space for my old limbs, along with a larger tank.

Mike.

ps trying to organise a ride out in the wet west either July or August if interested?
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

ps trying to organise a ride out in the wet west either July or August if interested?
You bet Mike. Good idea.

I did look at the 11 1/2 on the MM site. Nice and Basic, I thought.
I went to see the Quack about my aches and pains, answer, Go to the Gym.
So I did.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

So joining the Gym doesn't help, you actually have to use the equipment too?

More later when I have an idea of a date.,..
toggy

Post by toggy »

My old GP is on ebay at the moment ,I'm so tempted to buy it back but shouldn't lol. it was a great bike ,I didn't need anymore power as it felt like a real Italian stallion .if you wanted one, its a good one ,I spent over 1k on servicing and sorting dodgy connections before selling it ,plus the newer APTC clutch £700+
Item number 301672421382

Plus I saw a red 9 1/2 at Poole quay bike night this week 30/06/15 ,rare bike 4k asking price good nick too .didnt get the contact number but can jot it down if I see it again .
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hmmm...

Mike, George, and anyone else remotely interested in this;

So, purely in the interests of science, you understand, I arranged a back to back between the Gran Passo and Corsaro Veloce. 100 odd miles each, 2 1/2 hours riding, non stop. The verdict is;

1. The Gran Passo - comfy, great handling and suspension, goodish fuel economy (well, 45 mpg, 200 mile range on 20 litres), space for luggage and pillion, excellent headlights, will go from just about zero to silly whenever you want.

2. The Veloce - brilliant.

For reasons that I don't want to go in to (alright, I fried the electrics) the Veloce is only just back on the road thanks to some money given to those nice people at NLM to fix upgrades that should have been fitted several years ago (not just the obvious chocolate box connectors). I'd forgotten just how much fun it is. Even taking it through Regatta traffic in Henley this morning was worth it for the sound track, and once out on the open road - oh my word (polite version of the expression I have in mind).

Sometimes motorcycling has to defy logic - the Corsaro is built for those moments. At other times the Gran Passo is just fine; but it's your choice.

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Ben 11 1/2

Post by Ben 11 1/2 »

toggy wrote:Plus I saw a red 9 1/2 at Poole quay bike night this week 30/06/15 ,rare bike 4k asking price good nick too .didnt get the contact number but can jot it down if I see it again .
Might be the one for sale on this very site (in Poole as well!):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3574

Must have dropped in price. Good looking bike tho.....
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thanks chaps,

I like the back to back comparison... :)

Just read Coughfart's test of the 111/2 and he says that the bike has more torque lower down than the Corsaro. AT 5,500 the Corsaro gets stronger. Maybe I shouldn't worry... :)

One point against the Scrambler / Gran Passo - the brakes appear smaller.

Mike.