intermitent starting

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
vtxbrit

Re: intermitent starting

Post by vtxbrit »

I considered it being a side stand problem on the Tuono when it was giving me grief, but deduced that even if the side stand switch was faulty as long as the bike was in neutral it shouldn't have mattered therefore the bike couldn't be in neutral even when the dash light showed it was, luckily it turned out to be the right conclusion (well it made a quick fix of an intermittent problem)
another easy test to try when it won’t start would be to sit on it with the side stand down and in neutral (presuming it won’t start) then flick the side stand up and try it....if it then fires up it has got to be the internal neutral switch playing up even though it shows as being in neutral
There are 5 switches that effect starting
1) Ignition switch
2) Handlebar kill switch
3) Clutch switch
4) Side stand switch
5) Neutral gearbox switch
You need to make sure all 5 are ok after that I think it is going to be a dreaded hard to find wiring fault
Finally I have presumed you’ve had a good look at the wiring into the ignition switch only they don’t like water or over tension/tugging on the wiring running to it, an internal loose/broken ignition switch wire could give you the symptoms you are experiencing
Reference corrosion problems, I swear by a product called “super marine inhibitor” made by rock oil it is so much better than WD40 for protecting against corrosion my bikes have it sprayed all over, engine hoses the lot (NOT BRAKES THOUGH) bloody brilliant stuff.
Corsaro Veloce
Aprilia TuonoV4 APRC
4V 500 Weslake Barber grass tracker
2V 500 Jawa Hagon grasstracker
500 Jap 4B Barber grasstracker
500 Jap 5stud jawa speedway
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Fingers crossed I ve cracked it ! The choc strip under the tail unit must have a dodgy connection , all connectors on wires are clean but changed the strip and all is well . It was one of the first things I checked weeks ago as a couple of the screws were a bit loose , tightening them solved the problem , but only temporarily .
vtxbrit

Post by vtxbrit »

Glad you got it fixed cheaply :D
vtxbrit
Corsaro Veloce
Aprilia TuonoV4 APRC
4V 500 Weslake Barber grass tracker
2V 500 Jawa Hagon grasstracker
500 Jap 4B Barber grasstracker
500 Jap 5stud jawa speedway
mart1602

Post by mart1602 »

i have the same thing now and again,flick the kill switch on and off a couple of times should start then
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Hi
I wonder if anyone can explain this one ! The fault continued to plague the bike , despite going thru the whole of the electrics . I gave up and resigned myself to taking it to the pro s and getting the cheque book out , reluctant to part with the cash and with the summer coming to the end I thought I'd leave it til next spring . Bemused by the episode I unplugged the optimate and put the dust sheet over the bike and walked away , frankly pissed off !
Last week , now more than two months later I thought it would be a good idea to top up the battery . Before doing so I nonsciently turned the key and hit the button . The bloody thing turned over !!!!! Gobsmacked ! I put the bike on charge and it fired , it's started and run ever since !!
I would welcome any comments as its a weird one .
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

Check push button.
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Yep , I ve had it apart at least five times and checked it , all good . A real odd one .
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

I was also plagued by the starter phantom..... occasionaly and always when driving with mates or when parked in front of a full terrace. Had checked everything, including checking the complete wiring twice, replacing all relais and fuses, cleaning of all switches, replaced ecu etc. Symptoms were starter turning like normal, voltage on display normal, but no starting. Then, sometimes after waiting ten minutes, sometimes after half an hour, the engine would start like normal.
Then a friend recommended a new battery (the other one was new as well). In dispair and unbelieve i ordered new battery - no problems since....
adamsson

Post by adamsson »

Had this a couple of times as well and just switch the ignition (key) off and back on has solved it so I suspect dodgy connection in side the key switch (used to happen on dispatch bikes that were switched on and off 100 times a day)