intermitent starting

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
mgb81

intermitent starting

Post by mgb81 »

I ve still got a gremlin somewhere , any Ideas out there ? Recently I ve replaced the alarm unit as the old one had hibernated after nine years , and replaced faulty relays . The bike started and ran fine after this . I then had a new back tyre fitted and again bike ran fine after picking it up . Since then on several occasions it wont start . It goes thru all the normal processes but when you hit the button nothing happens . On one occasion I rocked it in gear and put it back into neutral and it ran fine ,thinking problem solved ! this only worked once . I ve checked fuses and wires under the tail unit , a couple in the choc strip needed tightening , it ran again , thinking problem solved ! Went to use the bike again yesterday , and sure enough it wouldn't start . Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to check next
Andy R

Re: intermitent starting

Post by Andy R »

Basics; check the battery terminals for tightness, and any corrosion at the starter motor connections?
A man of many parts, none of which are fully functional
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The starter relay and it's fuse are well exposed. There is a spare fuse there too...

My fuse 'broke' through corrosion... the leg fell off the fuse.
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Cheers chaps , looks like the starter solenoid has gone south , nuts corroded . taken all apart , cleaned and put back , still doesn't work . But if you make contact between the two thick cables the bike turns over and starts . Any good sources for a spare ?
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

Yamaha has a matching replecement: 4DN-81940-10 (OLD) Or 4DN-81940-12-00 new.
I have recently worked on a 2005 v-strom 1000 and that starterrelais looked very similar as well.
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Thanks for that , I ve found that the yzf r6 yam should work , 53 quid from yam , 9 quid off amazon . Looking forward to getting back on it .
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Still struggling with starting ! I ve changed the solenoid , its made no difference , I ve had the starter switch apart and checked that and the kill switch , I ve checked battery terminals , all good . I ve checked all fuses , all good .
Sometimes it will start and is fine , turn it off and back on again , all is fine . Come back the next day , ignition on , but bike wont start on the button . It will if you short across the solenoid ( not something I like to do )
Has anyone got any further thoughts on a solution .
Many thanks
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

I would then check the wiiring from the starter switch. Also check the neutral and clutch switches and wiring, then make sure all contacts on the ignition(key) switch are okay.
A break in the wiringloom around the stearingbearings is a common failure, alas
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Thanks for this , I will report back . Its certainly a gremlin in there that doesn't want to be found . Started fine yesterday but nothing today !
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

All switches checked and good . Gone back to earlier stuff I checked and looks like the relay under the seat has been playing up . typical that I replaced all the others as they were suspect and now this one is on it way out . Moral of the story , keep plenty of relays ! Can someone organise the weather so I can get out there and ring its neck ! Nothing beats that engine on full song , but dry road is preferable !
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

Yes - sorry - forgot about the relais. Since i had them replaced no problems there.... :wink: Well done. Hope for some dry wheather as well.
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

Wrong again ! having changed relays and got it running fine , went back the next morning and sure enough it wouldn't turn over ! I ve spoken to NLM and the suggest ecu could be fried , I ve got a spare so I ll do a swap . Any one else got some bright ideas ? Frustrating , to put it mildly !
vtxbrit

Post by vtxbrit »

I am not totally convinced that it is the ECU, normally they just stop working then you lose loads of functions, including the dash display ....but then stranger things have happened and NLM are very good with oodles of experience, so maybe they are in fact spot on.................
as a thought have you looked to see if the neutral light is displayed on the dash, and if flickers or dims when you try unsuccessfully to start it?
My old 2005 v twin Tuono developed a glitch on the internal gear neutral position switch which caused a similar problem to the one you are experiencing it turned out to be oily crud in the internal indicator switch seal, after replacing it the problem went away.
vtxbrit
Corsaro Veloce
Aprilia TuonoV4 APRC
4V 500 Weslake Barber grass tracker
2V 500 Jawa Hagon grasstracker
500 Jap 4B Barber grasstracker
500 Jap 5stud jawa speedway
mgb81

Post by mgb81 »

I ve swapped the ecu and there is no change , the neutral light stays bright when starting but I will check out the switch further . Thanks for the suggestion .
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Sidestand switch?