Fuel consumption

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Steve-55

Fuel consumption

Post by Steve-55 »

Hi guys
Just a question !! what sort of fuel consumption are you getting? The reason I ask is mine seems to be about 25mpg most of the time :cry: and thats without giving it to much right wrist action!! The exhaust is very sooty, suggesting its over fuelling, its had the latest ECU and at its first service all checked out. No problems with start or running!I would have thought hig 30s at the least.
Cheers for any info or advice.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Steve;

As mentioned in another thread, I recorded just over 30 mpg on a steady run (we won't quote speeds, but it was quick down motorway and A roads as I was late for a meeting.. :oops: ).

If I am careful I can get up to 40 mpg, but the most effective riding style seems to be keep the revs between 5 and 7K, where the motor is most efficient. My son rode the bike up to Mallory using this style and got a better overall consumption. Low revs just seems to use more fuel...

I have a log of all the fuel put in to the bike over the last 18 months - at some point I will have to do a graph (sad really). The tank holds 18 litres from dry to brim full (I only had to push mine half a mile) which results in the light going on after about 110 miles, then there are 2 litres left, which is about twelve miles. It certainly pays to know where the petrol stations are.

I am lucky in having another Morini for when I need fuel economy, so the Corsaro gets used for longer distance stuff and going to The Island, etc. But the upgrades might help?

Good riding :)

CC
Steve-55

Post by Steve-55 »

Thanks Chris
Last year when i picked up the bike; mlg just under 500, I went out with friends a few runs round Wales,etc, I had as high as 44mpg!! normal cruising/running speeds but as the miles/speeds increased so did its consumption but at about the same riding speeds?? I have copies of workshop manuals now, so can do some in depth checks, and will try to look at diagnostics when i can! because only the franchise dealers have that software, which req a security dongle :( Oh did you know we are a select club :lol: approx 67 owners in the UK!!
Regards
Steve
carpe diem

Post by carpe diem »

Hi Steve,
the weber marelli did do there job in one direction : with the adequate software you can read the CPU but not change it as such , but most important you can't reverse any changes. factory stuff. the official dealer s get this message from Bologna :keep off ,wait for official updates ;my German dealer who's a neighbour of a Siemens electonics site worked on it item..but only in combination with a powercommander. Most important item is that the fuel/air "factory" mixture of the Corsaro( consider lambda & euro3 norms) is very (or too rich) rich untill 6000rev/m (see your exhaust top-ends when you got trottle down) see on diagram below:
regards
Thierry
carpe diem

Post by carpe diem »

carpe diem wrote:Hi Steve,
the weber marelli did do there job in one direction : with the adequate software you can read the CPU but not change it as such , but most important you can't reverse any changes. factory stuff. the official dealer s get this message from Bologna :keep off ,wait for official updates ;my German dealer who's a neighbour of a Siemens electonics site worked on it item..but only in combination with a powercommander. Most important item is that the fuel/air "factory" mixture of the Corsaro( consider lambda & euro3 norms) is very (or too rich) rich untill 6000rev/m (see your exhaust top-ends when you got trottle down) see on diagram below:
regards
Thierry
blue line is standard ,yellow after manipulating with powercommander
Steve-55

Fuel map

Post by Steve-55 »

Hi thierry
As I work in engine development I was intrigued by the map :o the standard fueling line sugests it is running VERY weak till approx 3000rpm and I cannot believe this is the case, because my bike has no drive problems at this stage! then from 4-6000 it is quite a reasonable strategy and what I would expect, after 6000 it goes progressive rich !! now this Is what we would do to either cool the Cat or the Exhaust valves do you know which? On the other map you go very rich at 3000!! why? and then weak at4-5 prob for peak power?? then rich again to 6000, after; progressive weak to max revs? what temps in the cat were you seeing? because for safe running this appears to be on the lean side! Looking at the stategy as a whole I think the bikes poor fuel comes from the transient fueling (throttle on/off ) ?
Regards
Steve
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

With my Veloce I would get 21mpg in the wet/winter.

However, I do live in Wales and we ride flat out here :D

I would expect to get in the region of 16-18mpg in the summer.

Or, 1 hour between fill ups. :shock:

I ride a K5 GSX-R 1000 now as the Veloce proved too precious and thristy :?
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Ben,
That's appalling fuel consumption!

For those kind of fuel bills I'd expect to run a TVR - Some modern V8 cars can do better than that!

I have yet to take delivery of my Corsaro - Which is currently having the Termi's fitted and should have it later this week.

I'm hoping that subsequent fuel maps may yield an improvement - I could live with 25mpg, when ridden pretty hard and it seems that several other owners are getting around that figure.

If you were regularly thrashing the Veloce on the road; then you must have been doing some hefty speeds....Given the ease at which these bikes can top 'the ton'.

Pleased for your input on this topic and hope you're enjoying the Gixxer!

Regards
Stephen R
carpe diem

Re: Fuel map

Post by carpe diem »

Hi Steve , don't worry the bike runs fine from 2000rpm on!: consider that a run is not a typical use of the bike in normal conditions : at very low rpm a quite full opened throttle in 5 th or 6th : there is no mixture velocity & at once a lot of air ( consider pistons bore !), and measurement sonde is bad placed (end exhaust) so a very weak mixture result for a while. As I work in proposing residuel compression surface treatments for automotive molds I do be prudent to analyse R&D setups& results ( as a run is) as such , they give you an anchorpoint & an objective impression what's going on on different parameters , I do confirme :the real fun is on the road : the bike is metamorphosed.
regards Thierry

m
Steve-55 wrote:Hi thierry
As I work in engine development I was intrigued by the map :o the standard fueling line sugests it is running VERY weak till approx 3000rpm and I cannot believe this is the case, because my bike has no drive problems at this stage! then from 4-6000 it is quite a reasonable strategy and what I would expect, after 6000 it goes progressive rich !! now this Is what we would do to either cool the Cat or the Exhaust valves do you know which? On the other map you go very rich at 3000!! why? and then weak at4-5 prob for peak power?? then rich again to 6000, after; progressive weak to max revs? what temps in the cat were you seeing? because for safe running this appears to be on the lean side! Looking at the stategy as a whole I think the bikes poor fuel comes from the transient fueling (throttle on/off ) ?
Regards
Steve
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Mine is currently in at NLM having some work done to cure a poor starting problem; it acts as if the stepper motor doesn't when starting from cold, resulting in me having to open the throotle very slightly to set the revs manually. This certainly hasn't helped fuelling.

The current cure is to match the dashboard and emu - which has already been replaced along with the lamda sensor. I am hoping that the other modifications mentioned by Steve, plus this, will retore fuel efficiency and running to close to optimum; around 30 mpg running in the range of 60-80 indicated mph on mainly B and minor A roads plus a little dual carriageway in 2-4 gears...

We shall see :?:

CC
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Not a Corsaro unfortunately, but my BMW 1150 gets around 30 miles per gallon at 'reasonable' speeds, going up to nearly 40 if I take it easy.

redcastle on the 9 1/2 forum gets 35 - 40 mpg

Seems about normal for a large capacity twin these days :(
Maybe something to do with the fuel injection systems. ??

Who's going to be first to put a pair of Dell'Ortos on his Corsaro :D
Steve-55

Post by Steve-55 »

Right Lads
Firstly Chris give me a call!! private e_mail so I can give you my number!!
Second;VERY Over square engines like the Morini and 1098 Duke have inherent poor combustion due too the cyl/head design, this is one reason why poor fuel consumption, the same can be said of boxer engines!! eg BMW 1100 etc just look at Subaru, you are hard pressed to get into the 20's.The gixer has twin butterflies (not great big bucket lids like the Morini) this is a very efficient way to control the required air for optimised combustion.I can go into geke mode if anybody wants a complete explantion.
I will monitor this site and try to answer questions when asked even though I no longer own a morini.I still love the bike.
Regards to all
Steve
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Guys,
Having now done a number of runs on my Corsaro, on mixed roads and often using hard acceleration for overtakes, cruising at 'solid' speeds and stretching the bike in the higher gears my bike would seem to do, at worst
31mpg and up to 42mpg on my A road/cross town trip to the office.

This is based upon the bike's indicator - which may not be accurate?

But I am certainly not sticking fuel into the bike at the rate I did on my
Benelli RS and would appear to be no worse than the RSV's I have owned.

For the record: My bike is a Jan 07' registered bike and runs the Termi's but NOT the supplied race ECU - 3x were of the opinion this can give killer consumption.

Hope this information can go into the think tank?

Regards
Stephen R
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Guys;

First the good news - the bike is back from NLM and after a few days STILL starts like it should - a good job well done by Chris and the lads from the dealer. Just hope that it stays that way!!! Tempting fate a little just like Morini Tom (hope that the explanations on the forum prove correct Tom!)

Pleased to see that we're still getting input from Steve 55 - keep it up, informed input is great for all us Corsaro riders.

Now - fuel consumption. The fix seems to have improved this a smigden as well - I can now get about 120 miles before the little yellow light goes on! Not as good as when running in (one memorable trip of 160 miles before stopping, and still had fuel in the tank just) :!:

I am running a log (I think I mentioned that before) as traditional Morini owners / riders are a tight-fisted bunch...

Now - off to do some riding :D

CC
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

More data on this topic;

Used the Corsaro last w/e and put 11.5 litres in after 97 miles; that's a miserly (for the big beast) 8.5 miles/litre or 38 mpg. This is streets better than before, and was achieved using the gears and keeping, in the main, between 5-7k rpm except in town, where I used second gear for 30 mph running.

I'm happy with that, so roll on summer :D when I am sure the mpg will go down a little :!:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"