Coolant volume

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
morini_tom

Coolant volume

Post by morini_tom »

Back on the Corsaro this week after its 18 month lay up. God it's good to be back on it, even in this weather.

It's not done many miles since its last service but that was 5 years ago (oh the shame) so I plan on at the very least doing a full fluids change over the next week or so. Already done clutch & rear brake fluid, oil and filter will happen after a thrash on Friday and the coolant probably over the weekend.

Anybody who has serviced their 1200 know how much coolant it takes? I want to have the right amount of good stuff to hand and there is no mention of quantity in the workshop manual.

Thanks,
Tom
MickeyMoto

Re: Coolant volume

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Tom,

I bought 4 litres of Motul blue stuff and probably got a fair bit left. I need to run it a bit to see what happens to the level. The bleeding bleed screw is in an awkward spot behind the frame.

So, in answer to the question... I do not know but guess 2 to 2.5 litres, but need to run it...

Hope that sort of helps... :)

Mike.
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Hello tomo
Agree with Micky moto,but after you run it for a while, check the level, but make sure it's on the minimum NOT the maximum. 8) .
Happy riding !
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Thanks for the advice,

For reference, mine took just a sniff under 2 litres, and it bled a lot easier than I had feared!

I emailed the factory to ask about coolant and they responded very quickly. What magnificent customer service. They now use bardahl permanent special, which is ethylene glycol based.

I've thoroughly flushed mine and filled it with a 50:50 mix of de-ionised water and Frostox sf d12++ which is a good quality, SI-OAT based ethylene glycol coolant (and I happened to have some)
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Interesting and helpful info, Tom...

I've just had the coolant changed in the Corsaro as part of its' 22K-ish service and on the first subsequent run it has spat a couple of spoonfuls out on the driveway; the resultant level in the header tank is exactly where it should be in the manual (halfway between the theoretical - as in non-existent - maximum and minimum levels).

So worth keeping an eye on those levels; the manual has the pressure release at 1.1 bar, so cutting the engine when its' close to 90 degrees is possibly not a good idea!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"