Running Temperature

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Stevie67

Running Temperature

Post by Stevie67 »

Morning people

What's the normal running temperature for a Corsaro 1200? When I'm in town the dash is reading around 100 degrees C and the fans are on. When I get out on the motorway and up to speed the temp only seems to drop down to around 90 degrees C. I've checked the fluid levels and all seems good, I just wonder whether I've developed an airlock or my thermostat isn't opening properly. Thoughts please?

Steve
MickeyMoto

Re: Running Temperature

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mine ran at around 76 or 77, but in the 80s in high temps. At 90 the fans cut in and stopped at about 85. Have you changed the fluid? Makes a difference flushing the system.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Steve;

74 - 76 is normal for UK spring temperatures - when the sun shines a little higher; it was obviously sunny when Mike had his Corsaro up north (sorry - that's a running joke...)

The Corsaro has the fans set to come on at 90 and go off at 85; the Granpasso setting is 98 and 95 and so the engine can run hotter. When you get away from traffic the temperature should come down quiet quickly, although running in the lower gears does keep it in the 80s. On the motorway I'd expect to see the high 70s at most.

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Chris,

In France last year at 38 degrees Celcius air temp.

Has only been 38 Fahrenheit here this year!
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

My '08 corsaro, which I bought new has always run hotter (fans on at ~98 and off at ~93) than my '06 which I had before.

At its first service I questioned this and the response back from the factory via 3X was that the latest ECU software was calibrated to run hotter to aid the battery (fans on less often)

I've never had any issues related to this and my bike has always run beautifully.

It is however worth checking your coolant level. If it's not bled properly then the radiator can end up less than full. I found bleeding the system easy. There's s write up on exactly this in the latest ATG.
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Hello all. I have an 09 plate veloce, and I have to say I'm with Morini Tom on this as mine come's on at 98 c and goes off around 93 c. I was told to make sure the coolant level sits on the lower level , as when I first got it , the coolant spat out the overflow whilst waiting at the level crossing (which took ages!).
I have the racing ECU in mine. I also had my coolant changed last September on its service by a very good technician , so I'm pretty confident there wont be an airlock in mine.

On a separate note, does anyone know if there is a manufacturer out there who does any radiator guards ?? I did create a post last year and someone said to try beowolf(?). I did contact them but the response was negative. Or does anyone know what other bike manufacturer uses the same radiator ???

Safe riding folks :D
torque

Post by torque »

Does anyone know the capacity of the cooling system Can not find it in the service manual :?:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Approx 2.5 litres.
torque

Post by torque »

Thankyou. My veloce runs at about 70+ but soon climbs when in traffic etc
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Mine too torque. 71,72 unless your in town when it gets hot very quickly.
Floydsveloce - Doesn't the oil cooler have a KTM part number? I know KTM valve shims fit too. Guess the rad could be shared with a KTM.
Never seen a Beowulf rad cover with a curve in it. They all seem to be for Bandits, XJRs, Hornets and the like.
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Hello backfat, I got an oil cooler guard from NLM,for 39 nicker !! It's in stainless and looks great.I got one for my mate Nicko while I was at it.
It's the main radiator I want a guard for. But I don't know which other bike manufacturer uses that same rad.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Discussion at the Rally / AGM last Saturday confirmed that the radiator is manufactured by KTM, but that no other models other than Morini use that specific design, so no point rocking up at a KTM distributor!

Were there enough sufficient orders, together with associated payments of deposits, I feel sure that the Morini Riders Club could be encouraged to consider a limited production run for Club members to purchase. It is, after all, what one make clubs are about. :lol:

Anyone suggest any likely supplier / fabricator?

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Now that is a very good idea corsaro Chris. I'll have a chat with my mate in shanick engineering in bognor .He's done a few items for me on my rolling resto ( '94 speed triple).
Also NLM have had an oil cooler guard made ,as I have one, perhaps that same company could be contacted..... worth a thought !
:mrgreen:
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

From the parts interchangeability list (details provided by forum members and by no means validated/endorsed by the Morini riders club):

"a swap but might interest a few.. I bought a plastic radiator guard from my local KTM dealer, I think its for the 990 SMT and its an almost perfect fit for the GP rad, fitted with 4 cable ties..could save hundreds for a new rad and cost less than £10..."

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/thebikes/parts.html
nicko

Post by nicko »

Just to add another view on running temperature as I have never found that too much information is a bad thing...

Fans on at 98c and off at 93c, temp will rapidly come down followed by rapidly rising in town/heavy traffic. Temp doesn't really get any higher than 100c but if it does, first thing to check is that both fans are working. I had one that wasn't and it struggled.

At cruising speed the temperature hovers between 70c and 80c ish.

As for a guard, I would be interested as the thought of a new one makes me cringe somewhat.