Disasembly of Cylinder-head & replacing Valves and guides

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
lakoslegal

Disasembly of Cylinder-head & replacing Valves and guides

Post by lakoslegal »

Hello!

Because of abnormal noise (rattling) coming from both cylinder-head - which is louder when the engine is warm -, I decided to take apart the cylinder-heads and - when too worn - change the valves and valve-guides as well. The exhaust valves are white coloured, and the inlet valves are a bit crusted. No oil consumption! No oil in the airbox, only the noise can be heard.

Would be pleased to have advice, tips and tricks from anybody how to do it.

1) Is it necessary the engine to take apart from the chassis or could the rear cyinder too has been repaired without it?

2) How to disassemble and assemble the injection-system?

I would accept any helpful otice!

Thanks, Tamas (New Morinisti) :mrgreen:
Chips1953

Re: Disasembly of Cylinder-head & replacing Valves and guide

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi Tamas.

I have had the tank off, air box out, throttle bodies away, injectors out and the water pump out. No problems. There is quite a lot of info about others have done on the Forum, Valves being dropped and shim information. There is a problem about oil leaks if you are not careful when you refit the heads.
I have also replaced the wiring loom all the fairings, ECU and the Dash.
I would not hesitate to the same with the valves, as long as you have the manual. I have had a lot of discussions on the Forum about fixing the Corsaro 1200, there is wealth of knowledge.
Good Luck and keeps informed, as I may want to do the same in the winter. I have a rattle now after 25K miles.
Cheers.

George
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
günni

Post by günni »

Chips1953 wrote: as I may want to do the same in the winter. I have a rattle now after 25K miles.
hi george,
may be the valve guide of one exhaust valve is already broken. i had some heads with that problem in my hands.
with google translate you could read a Little bit in ital-web
http://ital-web.de/forum/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=45

günni
sbarazzino 98, corsaro 125, corsaro 150, corsaro 1200, scrambler
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Hi Gunni

Well you are always on top of the situation. I will wait until the winter to investigate as I have just purchased a 3 1/2 Strada from Spain. I have decided to keep the Corsaro as it's such a different bike.
Keep up the good work!

Tchus George.

I have noted your suggestion and will not use the bike until I have investigated the noise.

Thanks.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
torque

Post by torque »

Hi Tamas
Having just replaced my gearbox and upgraded my cam chains i hope i can offer a few tips Corsaro manual can be downloaded of ital-web .de ask Gunni for help finding it he is a top man
Firstly i would remove the exhaust and have a look up the exhaust ports for damage, then remove the throttle bodys and airbox to have a look down the inlet ports Cam covers off
check the chains and cam chain tensioners remove cams and shim buckets Hopefully you will have found a problem by now if you have to remove the heads you can do it with the engine in the frame I take pictures of each step as i remove parts bag and tag each step as you remove them
Good luck let us know what you find
cheers john
lakoslegal

Post by lakoslegal »

Thank you for the advice. Hitherto every stage of disassembly was easy. I am sure that the Assembly will be much heavier :shock:

Today I reached this level:
Attachments
szerelés 2.jpg
szerelés 2.jpg (224.53 KiB) Viewed 27762 times
szerelés1.jpg
szerelés1.jpg (232.16 KiB) Viewed 27762 times
lakoslegal

Post by lakoslegal »

Does anybody have any idea, which more widespread car or motorbike has the same or similar exhaust and inlet valves and valve-guide than the morini's?
günni

Post by günni »

torque wrote:ask Gunni for help finding it he is a top man
haha, good joke, john :D i`m one of you

@tamas, answered on ital-web.de .sorry, my englisch is not so good :oops: if you can not find help in hungary, you could send the cylinderheads to me.

sok móka
günni
sbarazzino 98, corsaro 125, corsaro 150, corsaro 1200, scrambler
torque

Post by torque »

Gunni my bike would still be in bits if you had not helped me, You are a top gentleman. I am back on the road now or will be when it stops raining
Tamas let us know what you find :wink:
lakoslegal

Post by lakoslegal »

I have a small problem.

Now I disassembled only the first cylinder. The back is untouched.

I marked the cam-chain and the amid laying timing-gears with blue paint. I moved the engine to the OT by moving the back wheel with switched 6nd gear. After that I realized from he manual, that there is a small cap on the side ef the engine, and with a tool You can easily forward the engine. Then I turned over once or two times the engine.

My question: is it normal, that the marks dislocates, or could the reason of dislocation be that the cam-chain skipped a gear-teeth? I have a fear of skipping, because after pulling out the chain-tensioner, the chain easily come off from one or two teeths of the front gear.

How can I check whether the chain is on the right place of the gears? Should i disassemble the side-plate of the engine, or can it be done without it? (To be honest, I would not want to disassemble the side-engine cover.)

I haven an idea, take a marked wood-rod into he spark plug hole and watch the top-stand of the the piston (OT). In that stage the two lines on the two gears shuld be coincide with each other. Maybe at that stage could I fix the chain somehow.

Thank for the answers,

Tamas
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

It is normal for The chain not mesh with the same teeth it's called hunting tooth it's to even out ware.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
lakoslegal

Post by lakoslegal »

Hi!

After disassemly I measured 0.5-0.8 mm side dislocation of all valves. Some hours ago I got one of the cylinderheads with replaced valve-guides. Renaul 1.5 Dci engine has the same sized guide made from Bronze, only the end should have been machined by lathe, it was needed some mm to cut down. No dislocation. The cost were minimal.
VesaII

Post by VesaII »

Hi Iakoslegal

How are your valve guides? Have you checked if intake valves are clean, not covered with debris and engine is not consuming oil? How much have you driven after valve job?
Last edited by VesaII on 19 Apr 2020 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
lakoslegal

Post by lakoslegal »

Hello!

The morini run approx. 16000 km after the repair, without any problem. :D
VesaII

Post by VesaII »

Hello

How is your oil consumption at the moment?