Veloce coolant change

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
backfat1187

Veloce coolant change

Post by backfat1187 »

Service time for the Veloce. Everything done including clearances, shock, forks etc. Only thing left is coolant...
Ollie at NLM reckoned it can sometimes be a bit of a pig of a job getting all the air out of the system. Anyone agree/disagree/offer any advice?
Would like to do it myself but it's not far to NLM so could always nip up there.
Thanks for your thoughts
Jim
morini_tom

Re: Veloce coolant change

Post by morini_tom »

I found bleeding the coolant a doddle. I did a full write up in ATG a couple of issues ago (shameless membership plug there)

Getting to the bleed screw is tricky, I used a 1/8 drive Allen socket on a flexi extension. A long ball ended Allen key may also work ok.

I filled and drained the system several times to ensure it was flushed through before filling with new coolant to ensure no inconpatibility of coolant.

The method I used for bleeding was fill to brim of radiator. With rad cap off crack off the bleed screw between the vee until fluid comes out. Nip up bleed screw and re-top radiator. Repeat that process until coolant comes out the bleed screw without a further drop in radiator level. It took 3 repeats on mine. Replace rad cap and then add a little coolant to the header tank (i 1/3 filled mine) go for a ride and get it fully warm and ensure that there is sufficient coolant in header tank (i.e doesn't overflow when hot but above min level when cold). When fully cold you can then remove the rad cap just to ensure the rad is still full- if it's half full yet there is fluid in the header thank then your rad cap may need replacing as its not drawing coolant from the header tank as it cools.

I've been meaning to do the fork oil in mine but don't have a paddock stand which will unload the forks as my paddock stand goes through the hollow spindle... Anyone know if the forks can easily be drained and filled one at a time while still supporting the front of the bike?? If not then I'll probably chuck it NLM's way to do...

Hope that helps,
Tom
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Fantastic, Cheers Tom. Very helpful indeed. I'll have a crack at it next week then.
I have a front paddock stand you're more than welcome to borrow Tom (an under the bottom yoke type) Maybe meet halfway somewhere? Or, if you fancy a ride up to Leicester sometime, bring the Corsaro up to mine. I think I've got the tools we'd need (apart from one of those syringe doowackies for getting the excess fluid out easily when setting the air gap).
Tea supplied.
Thanks again for the tips.
Jim.
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Managed to find ATG 341 with the fluid change write up! Just need to get it photocopied now to avoid grubby mit contamination.