Corsaro 1200 - Cooling Hoses

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
V-Fun

Corsaro 1200 - Cooling Hoses

Post by V-Fun »

Could do with some advice...

The two hoses on my Corsaro seem to be flattened - as in no longer round?? both sides of the bike.

I don't recall them being like this when I got the bike? and nobody has been near it...

Could this be due to atmospheric pressure? or is a vacuum being created?

The bike seems to run fine and is not overheating?

If I'm being a dumb-ass or if this is normal could somebody advise me??

Haven't got another to compare it with.

Thanks

Regards
Stephen R
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

They should be round... :?

Its easy enough to take the header tank or radiator filler caps off - I cannot imagine that there is anything too technically complicated here (but then I am a duffer when it comes to this particular machine...

CC
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Chris,
Thanks for the reply - Seems that my hoses are flattened when the bike is cold and regain their shape when it warms-up.

I'll whip off the caps and see what effect that has.

The bike spurted a bit of coolant, through the breather yesterday - after some slow town work.

At one point the engine temperature showed 104C and I thought the fans hadn't cut-in.

Having only had a few rides and in low temperatures I don't yet know what is 'normal' for this bike.

Regards
Stephen
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Stephen;

The fans should cut in at around 90. On the open road mine runs at about 74 - 76 in most temperatures. In the heat of summer (I wish...) it might climb into the eighties.

At a standstill it soon rises to the 90, and sometimes the fans could run for some time. Sounds like a dodgy thermostat :?: so worth checking before you loose more than water / antifreeze!

I am off to Bristol tonight on mine (MRC meet) so I'll keep an eye on the temperature,

CC
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Chris,
Thanks for that - Mine has been as you described, until that last ride.

Will get it checked out.

As to the hoses - 3X advised that upgraded ones are due to be fitted to my bike, with the next factory mods.(According to their technician).

Hope the MRC meeting went well.

Regards
Stephen R
vtxbrit

Post by vtxbrit »

Steve had the same trouble with a Honda....there was a factory recall on the radiator caps.
the problem was the cap vent was blocked with a thick paste during assembly it is important that the caps can breathe........when the water gets hot it expands venting into the top up tank/bottle then when it cools down and contracts it needs to flow back..... if the cap is blocked it won’t so it creates a vacuum in the system.
Release the pressure caps on the rads and I bet it will let the hoses reshape instantly.
a word of warning some of the Honda owners who had the same problem ended up with seals leaking on the water pump, due to the vacuum effect... so get it fixed asap
Terry
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hi Terry,
Good to hear from you...

Thanks for the advice and have got things in-hand with 3X.

New hoses are on order and are being replaced under warranty.

There was coolant in the header tank (as per the owner's manual) but not much in the radiator, when checked by the technician.

None of the other used Morini's at 3X appear to have these collapsed hoses -which expand again once warm. They are clearly duff and were not like this when I got the bike.

The coolant was replenished and the bike was fine on the 30 mile trip home and did not get over 82 deg.(motorway and A/B roads).

Thanks again for the information and I will be happier once the new hoses are fitted.

Regards
Stephen R
Steve-55

Post by Steve-55 »

Hi Stephen
There is nothing wrong with the hoses it is down to vacuum in the coolant system, the rad pressure cap is the most likely cause as water should pass between the header tank and rad due to expansion and contraction under temp/press change.
Regards
Steve
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hi Steve,
Thank you for the information - I will check out the filler cap and guess dirt
could affect its function.

I got caught in hellish weather a few weeks ago and the bike was encrusted with heavy road deposits.

It was thoroughly cleaned, but you never know.

Really appreciating your 'tech' input on this site, as I'm sure are many others.

All the best
Stephen R
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Had exactly this on a BMWK75s.The cure-a new rad cap. The old one had a seal issue.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

3pot,
I think this may have been the original problem with my bike.

But the hoses have become weakened, or perhaps suffer from 'memory' due to the repeated contractions (just like a girl I once knew....).

They are being replaced by the dealer under warranty.

Hope this will see an end to it.

Regards
Stephen R