Spoke too soon

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
morini_tom

Spoke too soon

Post by morini_tom »

Only friday I left a post saying how brilliant and trouble free my Corsaro has been...

Went to start it today and it was a real pain, when it eventually did run the oil light stayed on, so I keyed off. Tried it again a bit later and same story.

After these two failed starts I noticed that the oil level was above the top of the sight glass (was nicely in the middle when I parked it on thursday).

It eventually did start and turn the oil light off, and the oil level in the sight glass started to fall. I took it for a quick spin and it was running awfully- misfiring, popping, and very snatchy on the throttle. Anything below 2000 rpm and the engine cut. I gave up after a few hundred metres and went back home.

Back in the garage and although i'd only ridden a few hundred metres the engine and exhaust seemed unusually hot despite the coolant only getting to 40 deg.

I will of course be talking to the dealer in the morning, but in the meantime, has anyone else experienced this? (mine's a 2006 model with 1000 miles on the clock)
V-Fun

Spoke Too Soon

Post by V-Fun »

Tom,
REALLY sorry to read of your problems.

I haven't had my Corsaro long enough to pass informed comment.

If I had to guess; It could be related to ambient temperatures and possible moisture ingress into the ECU.

No, this clearly shouldn't happen!

As to the oil in the sight glass - On another bike I did have a problem whereby a film of oil adhered to the sight glass -giving the impression it was full, when it was not.
This may be unconnected to the poor running.

You really do have my sympathy and hope it's sorted and fast!

Please feed-back when you know what the fault is? and good luck.

Regards
Stephen R
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Sounds like petrol in the oil or possibly coolant, if the level has gone up. I have no experience of the former but have seen the latter on my K75S due to the oil /water pump failing. But of course this is an entirely different animal. Let us know what the cause is. Does the oil smell of petrol?
vtxbrit

Post by vtxbrit »

3potjohn wrote:Sounds like petrol in the oil or possibly coolant,
I had a similar problem on a 1 year old sv 1000 a few years ago, head gasket had gone....allowing coolant to bypass the gasket and leak into the oil system this made the oil level rise and it ran like a bag of s**t I also had overheating problems as a result, hope it is something simpler in your case.
vtxbrit
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I've got the bike booked in with NLM this week for a look, I am really hoping it's something simpler, but I agree that the symptoms seem to point to a failed head gasket or something equally nasty.

I know the fuel dilution in the oil on big twins can be very high, so I'm hoping that the high oil level is just a result of lots of cranking before those big old cylinders burst into life and all the excess fuel washing into the sump...

I will keep the forum updated on my progress...
Steve-55

Post by Steve-55 »

Hi Tom
The rough running will most certainly be down to the TWO failed starts and temp. The lambda sensor will have been washed in unburnt fuel and with the bike coolant temp not at operatin temp the ECU will have got confused as to what the fueling should be!! If that happens again just let the bike get up to operating temp before riding off so all residual fuel is burnt away.DO NOT be to concerned with the oil level variation what you saw is misleading.To check your bikes level do it after it has cooled down for a couple of minutes from norm operating temp engine off. It will rise and fall due to standing or when engine running.Regarding head gaskets (as a rule of thumb) when cool unscrew the Rad cap if there is no sign of Mayo ie a brownish creamy residue they are prob OK.
Regards
Steve
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I suppose it's only fair I post a reply on here, should have done it a couple of weeks ago but been too busy riding my corsaro!

I don't know what the problem was with my bike in the end (manufacturers are quite rightly so, often secretive about warrenty work) but the main thing is 3X were able to fix my bike very quickly, and do all the latest upgrades (well worth doing).

The bike was with 3X for a couple of weeks while I was on holiday, and when I came back it was all done and running nicely. I've put just over 300 miles on it this week and am happy with the way it's running.
Steve-55

Post by Steve-55 »

:D I'm so pleased that your problems have been resolved, the bike and the loyal band of owners/test riders deserve better. After reading the test report on the Avio, I could so be tempted, but all the issue's with spares, dealers, ( lack of,and competentcy ) and residual values etc; and it seems a price hike?!!
All is not a bed of roses with KTM!! they have a different set of issues with driveability,the engine is not as grunty or smooth but has a VERY resposive throttle action !!! although I'm getting abot 165mls till the fuel light comes on, then about 40mls till dry.I'v cracked the comfort with a rework by customseats.co.uk :) and a company called Tuneboy do a lovely software package that talks via laptop so you can frig with maps yourself 8) so will be sorted in due course.
Still have a soft spot for MM so will keep aneye on this site
Best wishes and happy riding to you all
Steve