Hi there, just joined. Help and advice needed

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
NICENSLEAZY

Hi there, just joined. Help and advice needed

Post by NICENSLEAZY »

Hi there, just joined the forum and new to Moto Morini. I presently ride an MV Agusta F4 1000 and a Triumph Speed Triple, however I have been bitten by the Morini bug! I'm thinking about trading in my Speed Triple for a Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 Veloce. I would be grateful for any advice or tips you wouldn't mind sharing. I would also be interested to here your thought on build quality and servicing costs etc.

Many thanks
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

I've only had my Veloce for 5 months (bought new) and put 750 miles on it (I blame the weather), but so far no problems apart from a few niggles that are part of the bikes 'character'.

Fit and finish seem pretty good, I would say slightly better than my old aprilia tuono anyway, the electrics & switchgear seem a lot better.

Servicing costs so far seem reasonable (Aberdare dealer, real world motocycles).

Good bits - Admiring glances whereva u go (I personally love the look of the bike, looks very mean all in black), fantastic noise (tergis with baffles removed and race ECU). Great engine, very smooth, good brakes and handling (its great to have a good back brake after the non-existent one on the tuono). Decent tyres fitted as standard! (makes a nice change from crappy oem dunlop rubbish).

Not so good bits - It can stall when cold, be careful when pulling off, give it enough beans with plently of clutch slip until temp is above 50C. Also when hot it can stall when holding it in gear stationary with clutch drag. Maybe fuelling updates will sort these out.

Very minor niggles - The sidestand holds the bike more upright that I would prefer, the clutch is on the heavy side and the low fuel warning could come on a little earlier.

Overall, from a very small manufacturer the end product is suprisingly good, no regrets so far and its great to have something a bit different from the norm.

Rich
NICENSLEAZY

Post by NICENSLEAZY »

Thanks very much!
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

I've had my Corsaro for almost two years now, and have done 7,500 miles. It's been to the Isle of Man twice, around the south quite a bit and parked near to Curtis' Veloce at the Bristol Italia Auto fair last week!!!

It has had all the updates, and a North Leicester oil guard - essential.

I really like it, but then I've been into Morini for years, and organised (with David Marlow) a factory visit in 2007 - meeting Snr Lambertini to talk first hand about Morini etc. over the years. There are minor niggles, but Morini seem committed to sorting these out, and 3X seem to be building experience slowly - they are certainly enthusiastic and complimentary enough about the factory...

A good dealer is essential - luckily most seem supportive, and Real world are very friendly and keen. North Leicester have been into Morini for over 30 years, and also know their stuff - that's where I got mine from...

If you look through the forum you'll find lots about the bikes - so I'm not going to try to summarise it here - if you get one - welcome! If not, thanks for the interest, and good riding, what ever you choose :D

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
NICENSLEAZY

Post by NICENSLEAZY »

Chris, sincere thanks for your input, most appreciated! I think I'll be putting a deposit down soon and part exchanging my Speed Triple. Apparently, according to MCN only 18 new Morini's were registered in the UK last year with the DVLA! I think the PR is low key here in the UK.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Nicensleazy,

The latest 'Veloce' is stunning in the black and the demo, at 3X is much admired - haven't seen a white one as yet and the red is sublime.

There is a company in Germany called 'Maniac Motors' that sells a small screen/air deflector, to fit on the existing cowl.
The exchange rate on the euro doesn't help the price!

But reckon this completes the bike and it looks integrated and must offer somewhere to hide from the blast, when on the open road.

Their photos show it fitted to a black 'Veloce'.

Good luck with your pending purchase!

Regards
Stephen R
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

The Maniac Motors windscreen.
195 euros.

NICENSLEAZY

Post by NICENSLEAZY »

Yes the new bike is indeed stunning. I love that 1200 V Twin engine. However I feel the Brembo brakes could of been updated on the 08 model, they just look a bit dated. Even Triumph have updated to new Brembo's on their 08 model.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Nicensleazy,
I agree with your thoughts on the brakes - The bikes (Well Veloce and Corsaro) have received radial master cylinders: Can't believe that the callipers would have added too much cost.
However: we are talking a low volume manufacturer and MM may not have the unit discounts of the bigger makes.

My take on radial brakes is that they are not ultimately stronger: but seem to offer more feel at the lever?

Thanks for adding the photo of the screen.

What do you think of it? Other than pricey...

Regards
Stephen R
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

According to Steve 55 on another thread there were 67 registered up to the end of last year. Ther are a dozen dealers with demonstrators so there are probably around 50 in private ownership.

I've run an interview with KD of 3X, which the editor of ATG might run in the next issue (once I've typed it...), and it is fair to say that the importer has taken things carefully over the first two years. The first bikes were in just before Christmas 2006, and most sold have been Corsaro; the Gran Passo may change all that.

Be interested on your thoughts on how the Speed Triple comapres with the Morini!

Good riding.

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
NICENSLEAZY

Post by NICENSLEAZY »

I just wish Morini had a better dealer network in the UK! A few weeks ago, I had a clutch problem with my Speed Triple. The dealer is just up the road and sorted it very quickly. When I get my Morini, I would need to go to 3 X which is not around the corner 200 miles +). These are great bikes, they should be more available to the public! I take it parts availability is OK or has anyone had any long waiting periods?
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

In my limited experience; parts seem to be readily available.

On both occasions that I needed anything - one item was ex-stock at 3X and the other (some hoses) were despatched from Italy and at the dealers within 48 hours.

3X had fitted them to my bike within 24 hour of their arrival.

Of course there will be low demand items that could take longer -But less time than comparable Benelli or Aprilia items can take.

I agree: a larger dealer network would be ideal, but these things take time and it would be folly if the situation to echoed Aprillia's initial expansion, whereby many 'dealers' popped-up all over the show and were gone again in under two years.

The term 'After sales' was a swear word and many owners were left in despair.

Regards
Stephen R
diabloss

Post by diabloss »

I find just that Curtis is very hard with the Aprilia Tuono, My last bike, was one of 2006, in 18000 km never problems, and the bike is the most efficient roadser that i know. This bike has a very goog finition (godd plastic good electronic...)!
This problem the motor has not 9.0 mk of torse to 2000tr/min,.
NICENSLEAZY

Post by NICENSLEAZY »

V-Fun wrote:In my limited experience; parts seem to be readily available.

On both occasions that I needed anything - one item was ex-stock at 3X and the other (some hoses) were despatched from Italy and at the dealers within 48 hours.

3X had fitted them to my bike within 24 hour of their arrival.

Of course there will be low demand items that could take longer -But less time than comparable Benelli or Aprilia items can take.

I agree: a larger dealer network would be ideal, but these things take time and it would be folly if the situation to echoed Aprillia's initial expansion, whereby many 'dealers' popped-up all over the show and were gone again in under two years.

The term 'After sales' was a swear word and many owners were left in despair.

Regards
Stephen R

Yes, lets hope things improve. I feel presently the UK market sales could possibly grow as its a very desarable machine. Its always difficult when you are up against bikes like the Speed Triple 08. Not only is it cheaper, they have now made the 08 version a little more Italian in looks adding Brembo brakes and what appears to be Brembo wheels. Quite an appealing machine.
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

Diabloss - I don't think I was too hard on the tuono :)

My tuono was a 2005 model, done 10000 trouble free miles apart from a few dasboard resets and flat batteries. On the UK aprilia forums other owners reported other problems with the electrics.

The instrumentation was also not the best, looked old fashioned with over complex controls. I know things have impoved with the later models, and maybe the electrics are now more robust, I just reported my experience.

Despite the minor niggles I liked my old tuono a lot, I really miss the after market accessory market!! Fitted lightweight OZ wheels, a PC3, different gearing, plus lots of other goodies personalising the bike - on the Corsaro you pretty have have to take it as it is...