2006 Corsaro upgrade front master cylinder

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Gary D

2006 Corsaro upgrade front master cylinder

Post by Gary D »

Hi all

I love my 2006 Corsaro but would prefer an earlier bite & a bit more outright power from the front brakes. The lever isn't spongy & the callipers function beautifully, but the performance could do with a boost. Has anyone out there upgraded the brake master cylinder? If so, did you feel it benefitted the performance & give less initial travel?

Many thanks

Gary
backfat1187

Re: 2006 Corsaro upgrade front master cylinder

Post by backfat1187 »

Hi Gary
I have Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder. Works very well. Good feel and power. Adjustable ratio. I think it looks really cool too. I'm going over to do a bit on the bike on Wednesday so I'll measure the lever travel and report back.
SC pads were a definite improvement (although I did fit Serie Oro discs at the same time so it was a combination really)
No fitting for the mirror though.
Jim
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Jim

I'd wondered about that very option. You sound pretty happy with the outcome & I'm very interested in going down that route too. How does it work out with the front brake light switch Jim? Does it have it's own switch, or use the original?

Cheers for your thoughts on this.

Best regards

Gary
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

They come with a switch. Although I think you may have to specify road/brake when ordering. If you decide to go for it and still want mirrors, I would recommend the Oberon offerings. Nice quality and surprisingly effective. Not to everyones taste but I like them.
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/aca ... rrors.html
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Hi Gary
IMG_2462.JPG
IMG_2462.JPG (42.41 KiB) Viewed 19714 times
Measured at the point on the lever where it's closest to the throttle cam case.
5mm until the switch engages, a further 10-15mm until there's any real pressure on the fluid. Another 10mm and you'd be stood on the front wheel.
For reference, that same point on the lever back to the throttle cam case is 45mm (although the levers are span adjustable)
Measuerments taken with the ratio set to give the most piston travel/least lever travel.
Cheers
Jim
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Jim

Many thanks for taking the time to get this information. I'm able to get back to my garage on Sunday & will run a comparison. The progression of the initial bite to "stoppie" sounds just like how I like my brakes though.

Cheers again

Gary
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

No worries Gary.
How did you get on with your steering bearings?
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Jim

Well...Stuardo is of the opinion that the "bottom gasket" is in fact, just one of the 2 rubber washers listed in the parts book. They're on order with the factor so we'll see when they arrive. If I can find the time to fit 'em before a show in Germany in April that is :( !

I'll keep you updated on my progress!

Cheers

Gary
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Jim

Well, the original brake set up on my bike sees the travel at 40mm before the serious bite kicks in. That's 10 mm later than the RCS set up & the margin that I find unnerving in terms of feel & ultimate response.

Did you change your clutch lever to match the Brembo brake lever Jim?

Germany has beaten my attempts to get the steering head bearings sorted. I'm hoping for the first ride out of the season on Sunday though!

Cheers

Gary
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Hi Gary
Yes my clutch master cylinder is RCS.
Also changed the slave cylinder to an Oberon item as the OE one seemed to be a bit notchy. The setup is much nicer now. A little lighter and much more precise.
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Worth bearing in mind that there's no switch. I thought about trying to make something to mount the OE switch but in the end just shorted the wires so you can still start the bike whilst in gear with the clutch in. Mine can sometimes be a pig to get into neutral when stationery. Particularly if you're trying to do it quickly having stalled it at a roundabout and the following motorists are keen for you to 'make progress'!!! The only down side is the gear indicator doesn't work.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply. Although I get along fine with the existing clutch arrangement, I do have questionable gold anodised levers fitted. Could be time for a more conservative look Jim! I'm sure I've still got the original levers somewhere??

Cheers

Gary
MonstroMorini

Post by MonstroMorini »

Worth bearing in mind that there's no switch. I thought about trying to make something to mount the OE switch but in the end just shorted the wires so you can still start the bike whilst in gear with the clutch in. Mine can sometimes be a pig to get into neutral when stationery. Particularly if you're trying to do it quickly having stalled it at a roundabout and the following motorists are keen for you to 'make progress'!!! The only down side is the gear indicator doesn't work.
Just use a banjo switch....
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Ah good call. Didn't think of that. Might even have a switch knocking about somewhere...