Breathers and Mouth to Mouth

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
nicko

Breathers and Mouth to Mouth

Post by nicko »

As some of you will know, I have been having trouble with my breathers. As the fuel is being pumped out of the tank, air was not getting back in and causing a vacuum. Sometimes enough to make it really difficult to open the filler cap which is embarrassing at the petrol station and nerve wracking when imagining broken keys etc.

I spent a bit of time looking into this and can report the following which may help someone with similar symptoms.

The 'breather' on the left isn't, it's a drain from the battery box.

On the right, venting just above the cat!!! is the breather/drain from the fuel tank. Under the side panel is a splitter (not the Judean People's Front) which goes to two pipes towards the rear of the tank.

The pipe nearest the front is the expansion vent, when pressure builds in the tank due to sunny days etc, a small ball-bearing in the fuel cap is raised to relieve said pressure. This is in the right when viewed from the riding position, seen a a raised block under the cap.

The pipe furthest from the front is the drain. A tube runs to the left of the filler cap which can be viewed next to the drip hole back into the tank. If overfilled then the fuel escapes this way. Also if water gets into the filler neck, from rain or washing it also escapes this way. This is the cause of the problem, it gets gunked up with soap, limescale, shit etc and air can't pass. I know this as blowing and sucking wasn't getting me anywhere.

The solution is to pass a thin piece of wire through here. Green gardening wire works quite well. Anyway once shoved up the hole, manky water poured out and the drain was clear. A syringe of distilled vinegar to help with any residual limescale for good measure and all was good.

A word of caution, when blowing and sucking on the breathers to identify any blockage, it's a good idea to have a mug of drinking temperature coffee to hand as it tastes like...
floydsveloce

Re: Breathers and Mouth to Mouth

Post by floydsveloce »

you forgot to say what it tastes like Nick ............................................I'm sitting here on tenterhooks !!!!
nicko

Post by nicko »

Shell premium unleaded, otherwise known as shit.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Glad that you got that problem sorted Nick, and thanks for the useful info!

See you first Saturday in June...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"