Fan fault on 2006 Corsaro

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Gary D

Fan fault on 2006 Corsaro

Post by Gary D »

Hi

Has anyone experienced swopping the OE fit Werhle fan relay, with the Bosch equivalent on a 2006 Corsaro? I'm not sure about the accuracy of cross referencing in this case? Also, my fans only cut in at 95 degrees...is this too high for comfort? I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers

Gary
MickeyMoto

Re: Fan fault on 2006 Corsaro

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mine cut in at 90. Morinis do get hot and bothered. In hot weather my fans would be on constantly, even riding along. Also, if the expansion tank is too full this can lead to overflowing coolant. The temperature is set in the ecu, mine had been flashed with a later program. Maybe 90 was too low? Having said that, a flush of the system and new coolant helped.

Any relay is better than the unsealed originals. I used the ones from Vehicle Wiring Products. There is a diagram on the relay you can match.

I suppose it depends on where the temperature is measured, but cars tend to run at 90 and fans cut in a lot higher. I suppose Morini thought 95 too hot?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Corsaro cuts in at 90, goes off at (?) 86.

The Granpasso cuts in at 98 and goes off at about 95.

The Factory agree that they ran the early Corsaro rich to keep it cool - later (post 2009?) models might run a little hotter as they ran them with a weaker mix; perhaps the early ones were the first fuel-cooled engines of the naughties!!!

Anyway, I'm off to Cadwell now, so I'll have the fans running constantly if I take the Corsaro...

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Gary,

I noticed on my new 2008 corsaro that the fans cut in later than they did on my previous 2005 model. (fans cut in at around 98degC and off at 93 as indicated on the dash) I asked 3X about it at the time and got the following response: "New ECUs fitted to all new models- fans come in later to 'Aid' battery"

The bikes do run hot, and work the fans hard is traffic, but it's a big engine! I personally have never had any overheating problems, and I think those that have probably due to either fans not working, incorrect coolant level or the water pump hose popping off. When we went to the factory in 2009, it was incredibly hot and the bikes coped wonderfully with Italian city driving (slow, hot and 'keep your wits about you unpredictable')

I replaced my relays with MR15 relays from Vehicle wiring products and never had any problems. You'd have to check but I suspect the fan relay is only a 4 pin relay, but using the same relay in all 3 places means you can sacrifice the least important one as a 'get you home' if needs be. As said by Mickeymoto, the relay diagram will be printed or etched into the side of the relay so you can check current capacity, switching direction and diode protection etc.

Here is the link to the relays I use, MR15, 5 blade relays: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... ?xProd=646
nicko

Post by nicko »

On at 98 and off at 93, concur relays from Vehicle Wiring Products work fine.
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

Exactly the same on my 08
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Gents

What it is to be in such great company! Many thanks for the information & experience. I feel fortunate that this happened in the last 20 miles of a 200 mile run. Keeping that wonderful engine cool enough, while riding through Burton during rush hour was a bit of a challenge on Monday though!

I'll get that relay & that should do the job nicely. Please take a look at MCN for a good test of the ZZ today...good stuff from the factory! It would have been nice if MCN had given information on where to buy or test ride one though.

Safe riding to you all.

Best regards

Gary
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Evenin' peeps !

I'm with Nicko and backfat on that one. Cuts in at 98 and pops off at 93. I've never had any probs with mine, but I did note on sunday, on a ride out to boxhill, that it mainly averaged 75 in all that heat. Giving it a bit more welly does the trick on mine to get the temp down a bit :mrgreen: Happy days!
I think it was too hot for flies and other bugs as I didn't have much to clean off when I got home :D YIPPEE :D

Well safe riding folks and don't forget our next meet up on the 1st July for the corsaro section. ....... and other morini's of course !

Floyd
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Well, on the run to Cadwell (great day out as ever...) the temperature on the Corsaro got to 102 Celcius waiting in the traffic around Aylesbury, but cooled down to the mid 80s once on the road to Buckingham. That's the hottest I've ever seen, I guess that for ten / fifteen minutes the fans were on and off pretty much constantly, with the temperature up around 90 to 95 for much of the time - as Floyd says, the run along the open road keeps the temperature down! Fortunately we don't get many days with the ambient temperature above 30 - but they do in Italia :D :D

Never got to Buckingham (or Cadwell on the Corsaro) - but that's another story!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Gary D

Re: Fan fault on 2006 Corsaro..relays killed.

Post by Gary D »

Hi all

Well, I swopped the relay & got my fans working instantly...for a while. Today, it blew the new relay & a further one swopped on the bike. I'm a bit stumped. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the fan relay to fail please?

Many thanks

Gary
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Is it the relay coil or the contacts burning out?

If the former, not sure. If the latter, could be a faulty fan drawing too much current.
eddydog

Post by eddydog »

Does the blade rotate freely? My was rotated very tight, I disassembled the electric motor of the fan, was clogged with a dust from brushes. But the brushes were not worn out. I clean and collect it again. It rotates easily and everything works well.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Mickey & Eddie

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'll find a moment to check the fans out & let you know what I find.

Cheers

Gary
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Since my last posts on this topic I've found that the l/h fan on mine is seized up, so that might have caused my fuse problem earlier as well (although the jury is out on that, as I did 40-odd miles back from the Corsaro Section meet last weekend without blowing the fuse, and also a short journey mid-week - keeping a wary eye on the engine temperature!).

Looking at whether the fan motor is recoverable or busted now (well, local guru Steve is...). Hot weather, cooling problems - but it's this temperature in Italy every year :!:

Time to release the Trusty Strada once again, so Good Riding

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Well..the fans are certainly running free. I've got some leads coming tomorrow to check they spin up ok, but I'm not expecting any issues there. Once the new relays arrive I'll check the current to the fans at the operating point, which is 95 on mine. It's a bit of a mystery is this one !