New owner of the beast + speedo issue

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Jambo

New owner of the beast + speedo issue

Post by Jambo »

Hey Everyone,

Finally became the owner of a Corsaro Veloce last week, she's a beauty to say the least. I never thought I'd have the oppurtunity to own one of these machines as it's been my dream bike since they first launched and before I was even old enough to get my license.

With a couple of breakdowns, the first week hasn't went as smoothly as I'd have liked. Wires had chafed through and were shorting on the frame blowing relay fuses anytime I turned right. Second day got low battery warning light as reg/rec plug kind of melted. Third day the speed sensor began acting up giving me the engine fault light. Although I've had some troubles I can't say I've ever had a bike like this before. :D

The bike is tidy and only has 5k miles on the clock, but had not been on the road for 6-7 years. So I'm hoping with these issues fixed were going to be good from here on out.

I was just looking for some input on the speedo button as mine does nothing. I'm stuck with engine temp, clock on wrong time, odo and engine hours. The button switch clicks fine just does'nt do anything. I've read up on the problems with the clocks, so should I open them up or just stay clear and stick with what I've got?

Jamie
72degrees

Re: New owner of the beast + speedo issue

Post by 72degrees »

Italian electrics!

I didn't have the relay problem, but the OEM ones aren't brilliant anyway and are best replaced with decent ones.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2527

The molten reg/rec plug is a known issue. Factory fix is to be replaced by a screw terminal block, but then the one used on my Corsaro also wasn't up to the job and that melted. I replaced it with a much bigger (240v loads of amps rated) version and routed that and all the wiring very carefully zip tied away from the reg/rec. The warning that it gets hot is true! On later 1200s the reg/rec has been relocated to where it gets better cooling.

The speedo sensors are very prone to any damp. It's also too easy to trap the connection cable with the rear brake caliper mounting. If it just got wet you may be able to dry it out well and seal with silicone sealant.

The display mode switch is also a known issue. Mine worked better once I had lubricated the little rubber tit over the micro-switch with silicone lubricant but it was very hit and miss and required patience to switch modes. If yours does nothing then the switch is probably fubar. MickeyMoto can advise on a repair job.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3802&p=18577&hilit=+speedo#p18577
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

Thanks for the info. I'll try get a quote.

It's just the speedo button I've still to sort out. A nice AA guy let me borrow his tools at services to fix the relay issue as I still had 8 hours ride home. Already hard wired the reg/rec.

I'm also looking for a headlight glass, don't know if I can buy this seperate from the unit.

Is there an aftermarket oil cooler guard available or should I just tinker with an old radiator cover?

Thanks
nicko

Post by nicko »

Hi Jambo
NLM made an oil cooler guard, you could see if they've got anymore.
Not sure about headlight glass but I believe Gary had an issue but can't remember if he got glass or a whole unit. I do know he then got headlight protectors from Ventura.
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Hi Jambo
Congratulations on the veloce. You'll love it even more when the problems are sorted out !
How old is yours and what colour ??

Ventura no longer make the headlight protectors.
I would also give north Leicester motorcycles a ring for any bits and pieces. They're very helpful. The oil cooler guard is £40 from north Leicester, and is something I would recommend. The radiator guard is my baby !! I have a guy here in West Sussex who is in the process of making one. It's a chap called Paul Millburn, who builds show winning bikes ( Google him). Once it's produced, I will be putting pictures up on the forum, for all to see ! :D

Keep us posted !

Floyd

P.s. did you know 'jambo' is Swahili for ' hello' ?!?!
Giddyup9999

Post by Giddyup9999 »

Hi guys,
Pretty new to the site. I also have this problem with my Corsaro 1200 in regards to the dash button. Is there anywhere in Australia that can fix it for me? Failing that, any recommendations that I can post it to in order to get it fixed?
Thanks
Dan.
torque

Post by torque »

scorpio electronics in norfoik do the button repair google their web site