Buying a 1200 thread

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Gary D

Buying a 1200 thread

Post by Gary D »

Gents, a new fella called Mike is seeking information under the "Buying a 1200" thread, elsewhere on the forum. He's concerned by the camchain issues that are well reported. Nicko & I have already responded, but can any Corsaro owners out there advise of the mileage of their bikes & any camchain issues they've experienced within that mileage? Indeed, any issues they've experienced across the board? Please find my "ten pennuth" below...your experiences would be useful to Mike & other existing owners. Can you please spare a moment to build up a bit of a reliability profile for our rare bike?

Cheers & enjoyable riding,

Gary

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum & congratulations on showing your good taste in considering a Corsaro. I've put 4500 miles on my 2006 model which has taken it up to 13500 in total. So far, so good! In this months Sport & Leisure, Alan Cathcart tests the updated ZZ model. He already owns (& loves) 2 Corsaro's & he's done a total of 35,000 klms on them with no issues, He doesn't state the balance of the mileage between the two though. It'd be interesting to have a poll on the cam chain issue versus mileage covered though. How about it chaps? Can you drop a line into this thread to say how many miles you've covered & whether you've experienced any camchain (or significant other) issues within that usage? It'd be useful for existing owners & folks like Mike who are contemplating ownership.

Mike, I've a GSXR1000K5 gathering dust (& maintaining it's value) in the garage. I choose the Corsaro every time & it's never let me down on the roadside. In 2 years of ownership, I've replaced a fan (the wire got kinked too close to the motor) & that's been it. It handles fantastically & is way better on fuel than the mags suggest. I generally get 40-45 mpg without looking for economy. It's a great long distance bike & always terrific fun to ride. I've ridden loads of bikes over the years & nothing beats the riding enjoyment of a Corsaro. I hope you take the plunge & join the club. Both are the best you'll find.

Good luck & best regards

Gary
Gary D

morini_tom

Re: Buying a 1200 thread

Post by morini_tom »

I second everything Gary says, they're a wonderfully underrated machine (and under-valued, secondhand ones are a bargain for the bike you get).

I love mine and it has a forever home in my garage!

I bought it new in 2008 and have done about 7000 miles. Not what it deserves I know but work and family limit play a little. However it's been problem free, except for the most minor things (wheel speed sensor letting in water is the only thing which springs to mind, and easy to replace.)

I too was concerned about the cam chain issues but mine is running a treat and isn't at the sort of mileage where I would expect any issues. Like all these things, it's probably got a lot to do with how you use it- it's such a willing, torquey motor, and I wouldn't mind betting that if you thrash it from cold etc you'll more likely have issues. I ride mine with a degree of mechanical (and license) sympathy, and do extra oil changes myself between dealer services.

Ultimately, whilst the total number of these bikes is small, they are still making them, with basically the same engine, 12 years after it first came out, so there can't be too much wrong with it.

Go for it, I guarantee you'll be hooked once you ride one!
backfat1187

Post by backfat1187 »

My rear cam chain broke at just under 15k miles ('poorly veloce' thread you may have read) but I think I was pretty unlucky. Upgrade cam chain kits are available.
Other than that, just little things that others have mentioned - fan, relays, speed sensor.
Everything is still available although not always cheap and can take a while if you fall foul of the Italian summer break. As Tom says, the current Corsaro ZZ is very similar so you would imagine parts will be available from Morini (hopefully) for a while.
I absolutely love mine. I makes such a brilliant noise, looks great and it's really nicely built. Comfy riding position - Great for just a gentle bimble or a more spirited ride. Fine on the motorway below automatic ban speeds. It's even ok around town, although it can get hot if you get tangled up in heavy traffic. It belongs on fast twisties, ideally Cadwell Park...
Loads of great people on here and in the club, you'll never be short of info, advice etc.
Let us know Mike if you go for it.
Cheers
Jim
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Mike;

My '07 Veloce has done about 18,000 - 19,000 miles now; "about" because the original dash was replaced by 3 Cross under warranty back in 2010 for the previous owner. I don't know, but it is possible that the bike was ridden enthusiastically because at the last service a fair degree of wear was detected on one of the cam chains. As the head have to come off for new valves (problems when starting from warm / hot and possibly another sign of hard riding?) it seemed sensible to replace the chains (and the sprocket / drive chain set) together.

Not sensible for my wallet but at least the bike can get to 45,000 miles before another change - I do, of course, ride the bike very sedately, getting 130 miles out of a tank on occasions (whilst my colleagues in the Corsaro section can only manage about 100 until the pesky orange light comes on). As Tom says, warming the engine first is a big help, and the bike thrives in the 3 - 6,000 rev range.

I might swap the bike out, but the Veloce is my second Corsaro as I swapped the first for a Granpasso (which I then swapped for an updated one at 25,000 miles and six years), and the only thing that comes close at present is the new ZZ, but that has nothing like the same soundtrack. The Corsaro is a modern classic, and in our little group we all agree that there is nothing else quite like it (which is just as well, cos we all have one!). So I'm in the same camp as Tom on keeping the bike,

Good riding / buying,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I just checked the MoT history for my 08 Corsaro which I sold last year. Still only on 8300 miles so not a great deal of help regarding cam chain longevity.

It was awesome though, and if I wasn't short in the leg, stiff in the hips and lacking in the bottle I once had, I'd still have it.
torque

Post by torque »

Changed my cam chains for the updated ones at 15000miles they were not stretched or worn, Only changed them as i had a problem with the gearbox and had the engine on the bench
Runner67

Post by Runner67 »

I hope that you can understand my stories :)
Little fear on my ass when I read "poorly veloce" topic. Mine is 140 hp version (2007) and driven 25 000 km or 16 000 miles. Should I change camchain anyway so that I get piece of mind ?
And what is the best choice to make update ? If I understand right, Borg Warner 98XRH2015 is the best option ? Is it enough to buy only the chains (85,75,- * 2) or should I replace something else ?
I have owned a bike four months and I can hear "rattling" noise when engine is cold and there´s not enough rounds, at least the chain is loose I think ?
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Alright mate !

I have a 2009 veloce, with 16,000 miles on the clock. I won't be changing mine until at least 25,000, that's on the advice of my mechanic, nick. I think the manual recommends at 25,000 anyway. You can play your part by making sure you warm the engine properly before moving off, especially where you are where it can get super cold !! I normally give it 4 to 5 minutes or until the temperature gets to about 35 degrees. These engines have a bit of piston slap anyway. Also don't open it up too much until it's probably warmed , on mine it takes about 3 miles.
It sounds like wet nursing it, but I am a believer in that if you look after the bike , it will look after you.
Lastly, if you really did want to do your camchains, have a look on what torque has to say on this forum , as he done his this year.

Good luck and enjoy !! :D :D :D

Floyd
Runner67

Post by Runner67 »

Hi,

I got on offer from hsi custom bike, price is with gaskets below 500,- These kits are complete with sprockets and chain tensioners, timing cover gaskets and valve covers gaskets is needed too but no head gaskets. I think I change chains in winter because the history of the bike is unknown and in any case the clearance of the valves needs to be checked anyway.
Fortunately, here's a long winter time to do maintenance and improvements. At the same time I must find out why the charging voltage is so weak...
MrWilson

Post by MrWilson »

Hi, Runner. It's nice to see, that there's an active Morinist in my homeland too. About the cam chain... I just adjusted my 9 1/2 valve clearances at 44 000 km. I guess it was the first time for that motor:( It had a stalling problem, but it fade away at once after the work. I also checked the chain tensioner by an endoscope. It looked like a new. I'm just an amateur with motors, but in my opinion you wouldn't need to replace everything on those mileage. Just remove the valve cover and pull the new chain in after the old chain. Also, it would be worth to ask the factory, if they already have a better alternative for the chain. But if you email the factory, just be polite. Italian professionals can be very sensitive. I 've noticed.
Runner67

Post by Runner67 »

MrWilson wrote:Hi, Runner. It's nice to see, that there's an active Morinist in my homeland too. About the cam chain... I just adjusted my 9 1/2 valve clearances at 44 000 km. I guess it was the first time for that motor:( It had a stalling problem, but it fade away at once after the work. I also checked the chain tensioner by an endoscope. It looked like a new. I'm just an amateur with motors, but in my opinion you wouldn't need to replace everything on those mileage. Just remove the valve cover and pull the new chain in after the old chain. Also, it would be worth to ask the factory, if they already have a better alternative for the chain. But if you email the factory, just be polite. Italian professionals can be very sensitive. I 've noticed.
Excellent, I have´nt seen any Morini`s this summer but I did not run as much as 4000 km... let's see what the chain looks first and then I decide what to do. If I understand right the kit what HSI Custom Bikes sells is upgraded version and the chain is much durable ?
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

Well, I have finally become the proud owner of a 58 reg 1200 Veloce.
I managed to persuade John ( Torque) to part with his.
I just need some decent dry weather it give it a blast.
Cant wait!
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Congratulations Mike. I hope you enjoy the Veloce as much as I enjoy my 2006 Corsaro!
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Alright Mikey !

Congratulations on the best of purchases > Can't go wrong there.
You don't say where you live, but i'm guessing up north ? If you're in the home counties, the corsaro section meets up in a pub called the 'pub with no name ' on the first saturday of the month. We are also now in our bi monthly magazine. would be good to see you !

floyd
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

floydsveloce wrote:Alright Mikey !

Congratulations on the best of purchases > Can't go wrong there.
You don't say where you live, but i'm guessing up north ? If you're in the home counties, the corsaro section meets up in a pub called the 'pub with no name ' on the first saturday of the month. We are also now in our bi monthly magazine. would be good to see you !

floyd
I live on the Wirral, the sticky out bit between Wales and Liverpool, so not exactly down the road.
I am absolutely gagging to get out on it, the weather has been atrocious since I picked it up, and now its dried up, its got that cold that the salt wagons are out everywhere.
Hopefully tomorrow, fingers crossed.