2008 CORSARO factory upgrades - wht are they?

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
nfitz

2008 CORSARO factory upgrades - wht are they?

Post by nfitz »

HI - does anyone know what upgrades have been released in 2008 for the CORSARO?

I just want to double check that my dealer (motot Strada) is actualy being advised what they are and getting them onto my bike!

How do you check what level ECU map is installed and what is the current/latest one issued for a std bike

Cheers Nigel
adamsson

Post by adamsson »

According to NLM they are new ECU and new clocks (apparently the clocks power the sensors for the ECU) I don't know if it is the same for all bikes as later models might not need the same changes. I can't tell you they work because they haven't been fitted yet
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

My late 57 Veloce is currently undergoing nearly 3 days worth of upgrades!!

Aprt from ECU's it involves some major engine work around the crankshaft, not sure the details but I would have thought some1 one here must know more.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

It's more than just ECU and Clocks.

NONE of the updates are safety critical.

My understanding is that the updates are being done on an individual bike-by-bike basis and 3X are populating a list of which updates are relevant to which bike.

I think in total there are somewhere around 30 possible updates, but some of them are very superficial such as a different screw in the twistgrip which doesn't rust!

I can't remember the exact list of updates done on my '06 corsaro before I part x'd it but it involved around 30 hours of workshop time down at 3X. The main ones I do remember are ECU, Clocks, Omega head fixing, Crankcase half (to cure a possible oil leak problem) and some clutch updates.

Both my dad's '06 corsaros plus my old '06 one and the new '07 one have had the full works down at 3X and they all ran perfectly post updates. Fuel consumption is improved as is cold and warm starting and the engine calibration feels better, if a little softer (but still loony)

Dad's (fully updated) 2006 corsaro is still up for sale by the way...
yaaan

Post by yaaan »

Will any of these updates apply to the Avios as well? Mine is pretty rubbish at low revs around town (got to be in first at 30 to make it useable and it's pretty lumpy even then) and often stalls on the approach to lights, junctions etc. I've put it down to being new and not run in yet but will have a word with 3X when I take it for its first service when I get home next month.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Thanks for all the feedback - mine is an 08 CORSARO so I dont know what upgrades are pertinant to this level.

Should i call 3X and ask them???
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

All;

Back this evening from having my upgrades fitted at North Leicester...

My Corsaro is two years old (this week - happy Birthday...) and had a few bits fitted;

Swing arm bushes (not phospher bronze - an in joke for old Morini riders)
Linkage shims / bushes on rear shock
Clutch shim - heavier gauge material
New ECU (again, I had one to successfully cure poor starting in February, traced to a faulty Stepper Motor)
New clocks and fixing bushes
Earth wire for radiator (look at new models and you'l find a small diametre black wire running along the base of the radiator)
Fixing bolts replaced on some of the engine brackets
New models also have small rubber washers with-out centres (like black corn pads...) to stop the dash rubbing against the small fairing over the handlebars. Mine have yet to come.
Misc other screws and fixings.

This list is not as extensive as some - apparently although 2 years old my bike has a number of parts that were already upgraded from the initial batch, so this process involves more than date of first registration. As Tom says, 3X will have a data base and fittings are supplied on a bike by bike basis.

The engine will now run down to 30mph in third, and pull away again from 2,000 rpm reasonably easily as long as you're gentle on the throttle - it still prefers second at these speeds. If the Avio won't run down to 30 unless its in first, I would suggest that it needs attention, hopefully sorted at the first service. :?:

Hope that this helps - overall I think that Morini and NLM / 3X have done a good job here... :) Fuel consumption will have to wait, but the promise is for easier riding and better economy...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
franky

Post by franky »

Hope it works out :D

Helpful chaps at NLM.

I'd be worried about an avio not running correctly, my 08 corsaro did out of the box, only ran rubbish when I took the baffels out with the std ecu. :roll:
yaaan

Post by yaaan »

I've partly put it down to being new and me not being used to the bike but having to ride the clutch below 20mph just to keep the revs high enough to stop it lurching isn't great!! Hopefully 3X will get it sorted for me quick sharp! They've been pretty good so far :D
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Welcome to the main downside of CORSARO ownership - they say it is due to the fueling on/arround 3,000rpm to comply with emission regulations.. I too have to hover over the clutch at anything below 30mph and slip it espescialy in 1st gear which is not useable for anything other than pulling away fmo stationary.

I have purchased a powercomander from the USA (waiting for it to arrive) to try and smooth our the low rpm fueling.

The lumpy ride is compounded by the cush-drive in the rear whell which in my opinion as a chartered engineer should be pre-loaded an have zero free play. but is apears all CORSARO's i have looked at have 15mm of free play! this meeans that the transmission lurches to compound the fueling problems.

I am trying to get replacement cush drive rubbers through warranty - if this fails to improve thisng I will make my own neoprene rubber shims to pack out the drive.

Cheers Nigel
yaaan

Post by yaaan »

I guess if this is the only downside I can live with it although it's a bit of a pain as, living in Bristol, I'm invariably stuck in traffic at some point in any journey and that's pretty much 1st gear territory all the way

I'll get them to have a look next month when the service is done and see what they say. I've not checked the cush drive but I'll do that when I get home as well and maybe approach them about that if there is a large amount of play in it.

All this said though, I wouldn't swap it for anything else :D
shacard

Post by shacard »

Hi,

Is this problem of fueling arround 3,000rpm still present on the Corsaro later model ?
Or coud it be solved by a good MM dealer ?

A+
twisty

Post by twisty »

stupid question but who's nlm?

If you apply to nlm will they supply the list of upgrades already completed on my bike and any that are still to be carried out or is it a case of waiting until the bike goes in for a service.

Do you need to pay to get this info
Thanks
shacard

Post by shacard »

twisty wrote:stupid question but who's nlm?
Is this supposed to be an answer to my question ?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Twisty; nlm = North Leicester Motorcycles - there is a link from the club web-site pages "links".

Shacard; my 2006 Corsaro has the updates and has only a very slight incidence of the fueling problem around 50kmp (30mph) in second.
The fuelling on the 9.5 and Sport seems to be better in this regard; the latter will pull from 1,800 revs in third from 50 kph if you really want it to.. I haven't ridden a 2008 Corsaro to test the current situation - perhaps I should!

Hope that helps!

:)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"