Hot wiring

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
oilburnerbike

Hot wiring

Post by oilburnerbike »

Hi All,

Hope you are all keeping well in these difficult times.

I been spending a lot of time fettling my Corsaro and GP.

While playing with the Corsaro today I had the battery out and noted that the upper edge of the battery on the centre line had a melted part of the battery case. This is the bottom edge of the battery that is facing the bottom of the tank (hope that makes sense).

The only thing in that area is the wiring that goes to the bottom of the tank for the pump / level sensor.

So I started the bike and let it idles for about 10m mins. Checked the battery voltage at tick over and got circa 14V.

The connectors and cabling for the alternator and main power connection under the passenger seat seemed very hot. The connectors are clean and don't show any sign of heat stress.

The battery did need charging as it was slow when turning over but it fired up OK.

I also checked the wires under the tank to the pump / level sensor and they were hot too but not excessively. These are the wires that prompted the rest of the checks.

Its hard to see why the cables to the fuel pump should be so hot, especially so hot that they melt the battery case.

I don't particularly want acid all over the bike!!

I have moved the pump wires to the other side of the battery holder so they are no longer in contact.

I've never owned a bike where the wiring runs so hot and I've had plenty of bikes.

Any thoughts??

:)
72degrees

Re: Hot wiring

Post by 72degrees »

The reg/rec gets very hot. There was a warning label on my 2008 Corsaro. Even then, the connector melted. Check the routing very carefully. In my opinion the 'fix' of a screw terminal block is under-specified. I replaced mine with a higher current rated version and extended heavier cables so that it could be re-routed. On later models the reg/rec was re-located to get more air flow.