Notchy headrace bearings....mising a seal????

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Splodge

Notchy headrace bearings....mising a seal????

Post by Splodge »

Picked up my used Corsaro a few weeks ago with 2000 miles on it.
Set the front and rear sag for my weight and experimented with compression & rebound settings to get the handling spot on for my style - therefore I know there was nothing wrong with head bearings when I got it. Everything peachy for 600 miles....

......however after a few days riding it in the driving rain we had last week I realised something felt very odd. To cut a long story short the lower headstock/headrace bearing does not have any type of seal on it, therefore the rain had washed out the grease and turned what was left to a half solid grimy slime - and the steering was really notchy and unpleasent at low speed.

I've cleaned it out by spraying WD40 up it, then lubed it with good cahin lube and packed it as best I can with grease - all through the 5mm gap at between the headstock and the bottom fork clamp - feels perfect now and should last until I dismantle it all when I change the front tyre.

To help stop it happening again I've made a neoprene and velcro 'collar' that should stop water getting in and the grease getting out.

What I'd like is other people to shine a torch on this area and see if yours is the same - if I look up the headstock I can just see the bottom of my taper roller bearing. Is mine missing something or are they all like this?
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Splodge - thanks for the detailed report.

I have 3,500 miles on my CORSARO with some of it in the rain but don't suffer form the effects you describe.

I will have a look at my bike tonights and let you know if I can see a seal of the lower bearing race.

Nigel
tecmoto

Post by tecmoto »

Hi Splodge

Have checked our demo and the parts list and there is no seal have also checked with the importer no issues have been reported yet, i ride in the rain alot so will report back if anything arrises.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

I've had my Corsaro for 11,000 miles now, and have ridden it in the pouring rain on a number of occassions :( The headlight went onto main beam due to water in the switch, so pretty heavy stuff!

I've not experienced this fault, but am surprised that there is no seal to stop the water - I know that it never rains in Italy (another myth, by the way, I've drievn through floods to get to Orvieto... 8) ) but still! There appears to be a cap for the upper bearing cones, but none for the lower - although it does sit directly on the lower yolk?

Be interesting to hear of others experience here.

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Splodge

Post by Splodge »

I suppose another theory could be that there was never much grease in the bearing to start with, therefore allowing water and debris to get in - I'm trying not to think about the top bearing now!!

Good to hear that higher mileage ones haven't suffered this.
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

Checked mine last night - no seal just straight into the bearings but the gap is not 5mm its more like 2mm.

Also checked the steering was fre with no high spots - all OK.