Morini Issues first details of Granferro

The new Hyper-motard

Morini Issues first details of Granferro

Postby corsaro chris » 07 Dec 2009 20:17

The first official details of the bike can be found on the 3X web site

http://www.motomorinimotorcycles.co.uk/news/granferro-1200-announced.html.

Start saving now if you want a motard styled GP - I wonder if they'll do luggage;

"Moto Morini revealed their eagerly awaited Granferro 'hypermotard' at the Milan motorcycle show. Billed as a "fun bike without compromise" it is powered by the Italian manufacturer's exuberant twin-cylinder CorsaCorta 1187cc V-Twin, featuring forged pistons measuring 107 mm - the largest ever manufactured for a bike in this category - with a stroke of 66 mm. Equipped with a double exhaust too, the Graferro delivers over 125 hp at the crankshaft.

Designed by Rodolfo Frascoli (of Marabese Design), the front aspect is strongly characterised by the parallel twin spotlights astride the mini fairing. which protects the instrument panel and extends into a nose cone, marking the Granferro's aggressive profile.

The tank, derived from the Granpasso adventure sport model, has a 27-litre capacity, unlike typical 'motard' bikes, allowing owners to use the bike in a more versatile manner, with great potential for medium and long trips too.

All components are from top quality suppliers - 17" wheels with light alloy rims, brakes with enbloc callipers, fully adjustable front forks and rear mono-shock and carbon fibre bodywork.

Production is scheduled for April 2010, for delivery to UK showrooms in May. It is expected to sell for between £12,500-£13,000"

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Re: Morini Issues first details of Granferro

Postby Emmohaswheelsagain » 07 Dec 2009 21:12

Chris,

As fine as the Granferro is when is the factory going to fill the gap in their product range. In a recession the price sensitive public are willing to spend around 6/7K but 13K is not going to attract the buyers Morini need. It was no surprise to learn from a Guzzi dealer last week that the V7 is selling well and that sales were 10% up in difficult market. When our No1 Morini dealer only has one new bike in stock (and thats a 08 model) Morini have a problem. The bikes will not sell unless Joe dealer feels that he can sell them. Triumph one of the few success stories around have strength in that lower end of the market and no shortage of new customers who evenually buy the Rocket and other high ticket bikes in their range. It may of course take a new owner at Morini to bring about change. Is there any news on that front, or is it worth asking Morini directly?
Emmohaswheelsagain

Re: Morini Issues first details of Granferro

Postby corsaro chris » 22 Dec 2009 17:45

Paul;

Morini were working on "engines of smaller displacement" way back in 2007 (it's refered to in their press release on Morini being 100% family owned). I am convinced that they will appear (there is a rather nice Supermono design sketch posted by David M on another thread) but smaller / budget bikes are unlikely to appear just yet!

They certainly have experience of smaller singles, and I guess that it would be possible to produce a city bike - just unlikely as it might pollute the brand! A sports performance single ( or smaller twin) weighing 160 kilos and doing 200 kph might be the answer - a Morini "Street Triple" answer?

Merry Christmas and lets' hope that the factory makes it through to our next visit in 2011 and beyond!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Return to Gran Ferro