Crash bars - Radiator protection

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Thatch

Crash bars - Radiator protection

Post by Thatch »

I know this is a long shot, but, does anyone know if there are crash bars available for the scrambler? I know there are sliders and I plan on getting a full set of them but I'm concerned about dropping the bike on some gravel back road. The radiator looks far and away the most likely landing spot in such a situation and I'd really rather not be stranded after a simple lay over. If there aren't any available, have any of you had custom bars made? Any leads in getting something like that done?

Thanks in advance.
twisty

Re: Crash bars - Radiator protection

Post by twisty »

if you ever look at any crashed morini that has been down the road the main frontal areas to suffer are the tank where it is at its widest point and the radiator edges.

next are the rear pasenger pegs which protect the bike , the clutch cover and the rear fairing sides (corsaro etc)at the seat area.

I've often thought that even just removing the original decorative end caps on the radiator and making up something more durable than the thin pressing would act as a sacrificial rubbing layer in the event of a slide.
Or even just moving the decorative end caps further out out and put something sacrificial behind might be a better idea.

Say something from a billet of aluminium or a slab of machined or hand cut fom delrin :?
Thatch

Re: Crash bars - Radiator protection

Post by Thatch »

Well I've got custom stainless radiator end covers for the bike now (but they are a bit oversized) My main concern was when I use the bike in mild off-road / gravel road situations. I was planing on adding sliders but I still seems like the radiator is bound to catch the lions share of the force from a drop. Perhaps I'll lay it over in the garden and see exactly what happens.