9 1/2 Test Ride

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
V-Fun

9 1/2 Test Ride

Post by V-Fun »

Thought those considering the 9 1/2 might welcome some feedback from a recent demo ride.

Borrowed the 3X demonstrator on Saturday and did a few miles cross country.
This included some fast riding and overtakes and hard to medium cornering.

I don't want to 'big-up' my ride - so cannot comment on pillion comfort or motorways etc.

Spending a fair bit of time at 3X (I help out in the Italian bike showroom some Saturdays) I have seen the 9 1/2 on many occasions and sort of become 'familiar' with it - never having ridden one.

The 91/2 is visually unthreatening: unlike the Corsaro models, which remind me of that possessed car, in the film 'Christine'(?) and have an alluring quality; the 9 1/2 is the quite kid with all the answers, too shy to stick his hand-up, in class.

In the showroom - The bike has an echoes this and tends to be outshone by its flashier stable mates.

Take it away from that show room, park it up and its stature grows - the styling works, it looks rather like a lanky 'monster' from some angles.
Yet still individual enough to press some of those 'petrol head' buttons.

The ride? I was expecting respectable performance, reasonable comfort and reasonable(!) or neutral handling.

To give perspective: I am a tad under 6ft 5 and weigh 15.5 stone and the bike was fitted with the touring screen.

Performance far exceeded expectations; the bike easily able to hit three figures, on a fairly modest straight and overtakes were a doddle, with plenty in reserve.

The seat felt very comfortable and the bike having a 'natural' riding position.

The screen was effective and I actually think suits the style of the bike - but then I have rarely seen one without it.

The handling is good and to the extent that I didn't notice it on the ride - It did exactly what you wanted and not getting out of shape, tracking or falling into corners - Confidence inspiring with compliant suspension.

The engine note seemed unusual and at first had me thinking it was 'blowing' from a header - But it soon became apparent that this was induction noise and nothing was amiss.

The 9 1/2 is a punchy, effective and comfortable bike for individualists and a viable alternative to say a Guzzi Breva, air cooled Monster or, as a used bike, many Japanese nakeds'.

It needs a bit more visual appeal to make it 'grab you' and MM have addressed this with the updated 2008 models.

As a used bike for around £6k its good value (remembering that 3 year warranty!) and I'd happily take this one, with screen and panniers on a major road trip.

I'd say its a bike you could grow with and without the need to prove anything on that Sunday ride - It's a 1200 V-twin!!

Just get used to explaining that it is NOT a damn 950!!!!

Hope this helps 'put meat on the bones'.

Regards
Stephen R