New 9 1/2 owner

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Emmohaswheelsagain

New 9 1/2 owner

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

I may be new to the9 1/2 but not to Morini, three previously 76 Strada, 78 Sport and a 79 500.
Usual background I'm back on two wheels after family commitments forced me to take a 20 year rest. I have found and placed a deposit on a lonely 9 1/2 gathering dust in a midlands showroom. I must say not much has changed as all previous bikes were secured under similar circumstances. I had considered the option of a middle weight with The Triumph Street Triple & the new Ducati Monster being on the list. Whilst both bikes had no obvious faults that Morini brand loyality came through in the end. I must say if Morini offered an entry level bike the choice would have been easier. Any way has anyone any tips on how I will tame this lively sports tourer? I have one advantage, the road to work takes me past Cadwell and on to Horncastle, a road well known to all MRC members. :D
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

You're not going to have too many problems taming the 91/2 - the one I rode was very easy, revving all the way from 2500 through to about 8k, when I bottled out due to speed and wide bars...

If you re-join the MRC, let the editor know how you get on with the bike - as it'l be interesting to have some tales from the wilds of Lincolnshire. Better still, get to the MRC Track Day later this month!

Good riding, and lets hope that the sun stays out! 8)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Emmohaswheelsagain

Morini 9 1/2

Thanks for the assurances. I'm sure after a few miles under my belt the true qualities of the Morini will come through. Talking about miles do these new Morini's need running in? This 9 1/2 I have found only has 800 miles on the clock despite being nearly 2 years old. The only reason I ask is that I'm not expecting to see a manual with this bike, non of my previous 3 did so why should this be any different.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Dear Emmohaswheelsagain;

I have the Corsaro - but a similar engine so the same advice probably applies, but its worth checking as the rev limiter cuts in earlier on the 9.5. The manual suggests running in for the first 500 miles / 800km by keeping the rpm below 5,500, then below 7,500 rpm until 1000 miles / 1,500km where the first service is due.

Its likely that the owner has the manual - and its useful for setting up the control panel... One useful point - let the engine warm up to 30 degrees before starting off - sometimes they stall if the engine is too cold.

Hope that this helps,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Emmohaswheelsagain

Running in

Thanks Chris for the advice. I will certainly ask the dealer for a manual if it isn't provided. This is an ex demo bike so it should be with the bike. I will let you know how I get on. I collect the bike on Saturday and as a precaution I will take a van instead of riding the bike back. The round trip is around 260 miles so i would prefer to get the bike back and check it out nearer home. I should be able to make the track day however only as a spectator and most probably also the Saturday, so I look forward to meeting you and the other members.

Thanks again

Paul