Digital Display

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Emmohaswheelsagain

Digital Display

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Can any new morini owners confirm if they have had any problems with their digital display?
Mine when blank on the way to work today for no apparent reason. I assume they are sealed units totally weather proof requiring no special care. Obviously with no recorded speed riding was tricky through villages where speed limits applied.
Going home all back to normal however the screen had reverted back to its original settings.
hombre

Post by hombre »

On my 9 1/2 it is going to be replaced since it's doing strange things. Neutral indication, and extremely high-speeds. 372 km/h was indicated once as being my top speed. Also the blue light comes on when I am riding with a lot of rain.
Also the way it's fitted appears to have a factory modification. Your dealer might know this.

best,
Hans
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hombre,

you may find that the dash isn't the cause of your problems. On the corsaro (and I suspect the 9 1/2 shares many of these components) the wheel speed sensor was prone to failing, causing spikes in the displayed speed as you mention. Eventually it stops measuring speed altogether. A new sensor is an easy job and is of course covered under warrenty.

A few people have had the high beam (blue light) come on in heavy rain. You should find that working a squirt of WD40 or similar into the switchgear every so often will stop this happening.

Emmohaswheelsagain,

Not heard of this problem before. The only special treatment I have heard of is the dealer telling me that some LCD displays had broken when people's fingers etc had slipped off the button and pressed the LCD display (not sure how you'd do this unless being quite clumsy, but...) Anyway, i'd keep an eye on it and report it to your dealer if it happens again. Do you know if your 9 1/2 has had all the updates? I don't know what 9 1/2 updates there are but suspect that the dash change is one (same part as corsaro and that is one of the corsaro mods)
Emmohaswheelsagain

Digital Display

Thanks Hombre/Tom for your help. The display has worked perfectly since although being mainly a fair weather biker so far I have no way of telling what may happen if the unit was tested severely.
The bike is two years old and has spent most of that time as a showroom demonstrator. I've double the mileage in one month in an attempt to shake down any faults. The bike is booked in to NLM on 27th of this month to have the various mods done. I will email Stuart to advise him of the problem just in case he needs to source a new unit. Certainly with the old mechanical speedo's no such worries however these modern Morini's are a delight I'm finding it difficult to keep it in the garage. Just need more on the road to spread the word. Everybody that has heard and seen mine has been surprised and very complimentary. Its just amazing though how experienced bikers seem to know so little about Morini some believing that the engine is made by Rotax. I thought there had been enough press coverage to educate most people. Clearly not.
tecmoto

Post by tecmoto »

The spike problem with the speedo can also be caused by the sensor being spaced wrongly not common but a few have been fitted wrong.

As for getting the word out, these bikes are italy's best kept secret the veloce is the first bike ive ridden for 10 years that i have got off and said im going to buy one of those. :D :D :D
hombre

Post by hombre »

morini_tom wrote:Hombre,

Eventually it stops measuring speed altogether. A new sensor is an easy job and is of course covered under warrenty.

A few people have had the high beam (blue light) come on in heavy rain. You should find that working a squirt of WD40 or similar into the switchgear every so often will stop this happening.

Allright! I'll tell my mechanic about this. I was told that the display itself is faulty and is replaced under warranty as well. About the WD40: the magic potion!
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

As far as I'm concerned, WD40 is just the most expensive way to buy Parafin.

Whilst it does displace water, it doesn't keep it away. Spray it on a lathe or mill and it quickly turns milky as it emulsifies in the presence of condensation. When used on electrics (particularly ignition leads) it solves the immediate problem, but then attracts dirt, which absorbs water and soon you're spraying the electrics every day.

Dielectric grease is what you want.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

High beam in the rain...

I had this problem with the Corsaro after a downpoor coming back from Cadwell two years ago - put ordinary grease all around the switch after initilally spraying with the dreaded WD 40 - to see if it was a problem with the switch - and have had no further problem (anf I've been through a bit more rain :( )

Good riding all - these Morinis are addictive!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
nfitz

Post by nfitz »

I can concur witht the main beam comming on when wet ... after power washing the bike (I know its not the best way to clean a bike but it was quick!) the main beam came on when I re-started the bike to get it into the garage.
Emmohaswheelsagain

Digital Display

Thanks for all the useful comments and shared experiences with all things electrical. As with all Morini owners problems of this nature are taken in our stride never distracting us from the joys of riding the bike. In this instance I'm no different and a recent vist to NLM has rectified the problem. The down or may be up side of this is that the clock is back to zero after reaching 1500 mile. Besides the new digital display unit, fender, chain guard, swing arm bushes, various allen screws the bikes has the latest mapping with improved fuelling. The bike is definately sharper although it does seem to pop a bit more when changing down through the box. All in all though the bike is better than good and continues to promote that Morini grin factor. One slightly amusing development from the visit to NLM is that Stuart secured me a manual (first one ever-this is my fourth Morini). Unfortunately the manual is in Dutch. Enlish one is on the way lathough I finding it fun translating the Dutch version on the internet. Does anyone known what Wijzerzin means? I'm unable to get an English translation for this word.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Yes Babelfish or Google translate can be fun. Wijzerzin is not Dutch... Well, it doesn't mean a thing. Maybe if you can write down the whole sentence?
Emmohaswheelsagain

Double dutch

Hombre,

May be 'wijzerzin' is not Dutch. You should know. The sentence reads Draai de sleutel in wijzerzin. Anyway the new manual will be with me in the morning and my language skills will hopefully I will recognise one or two words. Despite these set backs the bike is still great and whats more you don't need a manual to ride it.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Hi all,

I think the sentence means something like 'rotate clockwise'.

I have my bike back with a new display. Unfortunately with 0 km's again so I'll have to do 13000 km's all over again.
Trouble now... (sigh) is that the engine stalls frequently and it seems that something's wrong with the temperature-indicator. Even when riding with low outside temperatures still has the fin cutting in very fast. I'll get back to the shop again, but anybody here nows what's wrong?
Emmohaswheelsagain

New Display

Hi Hombre,

Thanks for the translation. Sorry you have a problem. Whilst mine doesn't stall the 'hair dryers' as I call them kick in too often. I'm told by friends with jap superbikes that this a feature of modern bikng and that you just get use to it. I'm only pleased that I can ride the bike on open roads with the benefit of a cooling breeze. The replacement of the clocks appears to be a standard thing for 9.5's however I'm unsure if the faults with the original clocks are general. Whilst mine did play up that one morning the rest of the time it was Ok. Since the work has been completed I have developed a vibration through the peggs which because of the number of warranty upgrades completed by the dealer may be difficult to trace. Its booked into NLM early next month so hopefully the problem will be cured. It certaintly had no vibration problems before the upgrade.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Hi all,

For some weird reason my bike has stopped stalling at any given moment. As I was at my dealer's also he couldn't tell me what the problem was. Anyway it's gone. He did advice me to use some stuff called 'injector-cleaner'. The make is Forte, anyone of you have any experience with this?

Once in a while it still happens but I can live with that.

I also fitted a new front tire and went on a short trip into the Ardennes. O it's such a lovely bike again! :-)