Anybody On The Forum Own A 1200 Sport?

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
V-Fun

Anybody On The Forum Own A 1200 Sport?

Post by V-Fun »

Just wondering if anybody owns a 1200 Sport?

Those that have ridden it, including myself all seem to love the bike and was wondering if anybody on this forum has actually bought one?

I understand that 3X have sold one bike.

My reason for asking is that I am strongly considering one and my only misgiving is that, due to my height: my knees don't correspond too well with the tank cut-outs.

This might be overcome by fitting rear-sets (Veloce ones) and this will be the deciding factor.

Would welcome comments/feedback from any 91/2 or 1200 Sport owners?!

Regards
Stephen R
Emmohaswheelsagain

1200 Sport

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Whilst I can't comment on the 1200 sport the 91/2 which I own shares the same dimensions as the Sport. The riding position is perfect for me but at 5-81/2 I have always been well suited to all Morini's. The possibility of rear-sets is a solution although the bars may need to be altered. Personally rear-sets rarely improve the riding position although many 3 1/2 sport riders would probably disagree with me on that point. Either way the bike is a gem and I'm sure you will not be disappointed if you decide to take the plunge.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Emmo

I agree with you re. the rear sets and don't want turn a good bike into some kind of torture device.

I'm almost 6 5" and so our requirements probably differ!

The 3 1/2 Sport does have a strange peg to handlebar relationship: though I haven't ridden one of those for 25 years...

Thanks for your thoughts on this and guess I will need to do more investigation.(badger 3X to fit some to the demo bike on a trial basis!?).

Kind Regards
Stephen R
Emmohaswheelsagain

1200 SPORT

If you like the engine have you thought about the option of the Grand Passo. For tall people like yourself this would be the obvious solution. This bike shares many of the traits of the 9.5 and Sport and would still give you the fast touring capabilities that the sister models offer.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Emmo
The 'Gran Passo' is indeed a great bike and I enjoyed my recent demo ride on one.

However my second bike is a KTM 950 Super Enduro R and I 'm keen to hold on to this - especially for winter riding and off road trips.

Although this is a more focused off road model it is still essentially similar enough to the GP and £2k more than the 'Sport'.

Will have another, longer ride on the 'sport' before making any decisions.

Kind Regards
Stephen R
Emmohaswheelsagain

1200 SPORT

You are indeed lucky to have a KTM as a second bike. You might have to think outside the box and develop your own hybrid based around the softer version of the big V which you clearly prefer. Have you considered a second hand 9.5 with modfied bars and the sport exhaust. A number of second hand bikes exist and can be secured at a price to accomodate the expense of the mods.

Paul

ps have a look at the photo of my 9.5 on the site. Angles are deceptive and rarely do you come across a bike with such contrasting looks.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Paul
Your bike's looking good!

Having assisted at 3X for the past year I have been around Moto Morinis
for hours at a time.

Your photo reminds me of how much better bikes look in the real world. rather than at the dealers, where all the various shapes and colours tend to detract from one another.

The 91/2 does tend to look very different from each angle. I reckon this is a timeless design.

Will certainly consider the option of a modded 91/2.

My potential px is high value and that tends to keep you locked into the dearer bikes: dealers don't like to part with cash when you trade-down(in value).

Never been one for selling privately after getting my 'fingers burned' some years back.

Regards
Stephen