1200 sport for US ?

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
magrug

1200 sport for US ?

Post by magrug »

Was wondering if anyone has heard if Morini intends to bring these beautiful machines into the US anytime soon? If not then perhaps one could be imported privately from England, I've heard these personal importations of vehicles are difficult though not impossible can anybody shed any light....? I feel it is such a shame that the rest of the world receives all these neat bikes and the US gets flooded with bloody cruiser junk! :x
V-Fun

1200 Sport for US ?

Post by V-Fun »

Magrug,
The 1200 Sport is indeed a beauty!

I don't know what plans there are to import the 'Sport' into the US but would assume that if the Corsaro or 91/2 is sold then there would be little difficulty in ordering one through a Morini Retailer?

Unless there a type approval issues, given the differences between this model and the 91/2.(Exhaust in particular).

Importing one from the UK would be an option -although UK bikes are obviously modified to comply with our driving on the other side of the road
(Headlamp beam for example).

If you can't get one from an approved dealer: post again and I'll ask some questions for you.

Regards
Stephen R
magrug

Post by magrug »

"V- FUN" Thanks for the reply, I will start to try and investigate the apparently labyrinthine channels one has to follow to personally import a vehicle into the US. As far as i'm aware there is no importer or dealers anymore. Anyhow we will keep after this unless it will prove to be a totally impractical scheme. Would probably be simpler all round if i just moved back home to Plymouth!!! :)
Emmohaswheelsagain

1200 Sport for US

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Magrug,

As far as I'm aware no Morini's are currently imported into the US. Certainly 'Cycle World' the well respected US bike magazine tested the 9.5 and made the point that US bikers would not have the opportunity of riding what was in their view a powerful, perfectly balance, superbly sure-footed motorcycle. Certainly the bike guide on their site has no listing for Morini. I assume that the factory considered the cost of setting up the US market too high initially. I suppose if you emailed the factory you may receive confirmation of their postion relative to the US market. You could of course buy one over here and take it over. NLM would i'm sure help you with the paperwork and guide you through the process. Best of luck and keep us informed of your progress. :D

All the best

Paul
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

All;

When we had initial discussions with the Berti brothers (there I go name dropping again...) at the Italian launch of the Corsaro and 9.5 at the Bologna show (so many years ago) they indicated that when they went into the USA they wanted to do it properly.

I know that North Leicester are often contacted by US purchasers, and so there is one avenue, although a complete bike is very different from a box of spares!

Contacting the factory also has to be worth a try, they don't bite :D

Good luck!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Good point Chris.

As to NLM : Like many others I a have great respect for them.

It is just that being a brand new bike, that would be supplied to NLM by 3X in the first place and given 3X proximity to Southampton for likely shipping this seemed to make sense?

My only experience has been assisting with exports to Jersey and Eire.

My concern for Magrug is what the flip he does for warranty work/upgrades and back-up, once a bike is in the US?

Most of us have needed one of these services, post purchase.

Regards
Stephen R
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Those who have bought a 2009 Morini Calendar from the MRC will know that there is a 1200 Corsaro in the US. My information is that it was a second hand bike imported from the Netherlands.
Further information than that I should only divulge to people who buy calendars :D

David
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hey Dave,
OK! OK! I didn't buy the calender....

Will it take me 11 more months to learn all of its dark secrets?!

Imagine owning the only bike of its type in such a large country.

I knew all along that Obama liked bikes -But not that he had such good taste.':lol:'

Regards
Stephen R