TYRES

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Emmohaswheelsagain

TYRES

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

I'm looking to put new rubber on the 9.5 this spring and wanted to know if its worth considering an alternative to the Pirelli Phantom Sportcom. Looking through the stock lists its clear that most tyres centres do not have the standard tyre. I suppose so few 9.5 have been sold that this particular tyre will be hard to find. There is nothing wrong with the standard tyre just the issue of availability and probable cost. Whilst the front tyre has plenty mileage left I may change that as well particulary if I change the make/profile on the back. I suppose these modern Pirelli's are an improvement on the old ones supplied with the 500's & 350's which I recall I took off almost immediately.
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hi Emmo
These days Pirelli make some great tyres and most Ducati's have them as OE fitment.

In my 'Yoof' the Pirelli 'Phantom' was ace and I even had then fitted to my RD250.

As to alternatives: I can't see any problems fitting equivalents from Michelin or other top brands and be guided by what is fitted to other similar bikes?

Say Triumph 'Speed Triple' or even some of the BMW 1200 naked range?

Chances are that MM may equip the bike with softer compound tyres than you may really need.

As long as the speed rating and sizing is correct you won't ruin a great bike.

Regards
Stephen R
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

I was under the impression that the tyres on the 9 1/2 were the same as on the Ducati sport classics, and were simply used because they have a Retro tread patern to go with the wire wheels.
Certainly on my older 3 1/2 s Pirellis were very good, especially the front Phantom, but it would be wrong to judge any modern tyre on the merits of what the manufacturer did 30 years ago.

David