how are the sport /9.5 etc detuned?

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
twisty

how are the sport /9.5 etc detuned?

Post by twisty »

How are these bikes detuned to give less power than say the corsaro?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

The 9.5 engine and its platform mates (Sport, Scrambler) have the same bore / stroke as the Corsaro range (despite what it says in the MCN "All 2009 Bikes" in last weeks supplement!). However, the heads are very different with smaller valves and spacing. There was a very good picture in the 2008 MRC calender of the piston crown cut outs... :lol:

The non-Corsaros also have simpler front suspension, which is noticably softer - this can lead to some unpleasant see-sawing when riding two up and using the front brake hard. They also lack the oil cooler.

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
twisty

Post by twisty »

So ecu aside the heads on a corsaro could be swapped over and an oil cooler /exhaust fitted and you would end up with a standard corsaro engine?
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Twisty,
I don't know if the ECU mapping is different between the bikes?
Should be easy to find out.

And maybe the gearing/sprocket sizes?

I suppose you wouldn't HAVE to have the Oil Cooler - Or at least initially while you splash-out on the new cylinder heads?!

Would be interested to know if you take this forward...

Regards
Stephen R
twisty

Post by twisty »

I think the engine internals are the same apart from the heads, as all the specs seem to read identical, same bore/stroke/intake size etc.
Internal gear ratios also seem to be the same.

I don't see the factory using drastically different components as it would increase their cost base.
The radiator on the morinis looks as if it is a ducati monster s4 item which seems to indicate a lot of the parts are probably ducati e.g rectifier etc.
The pencil coils are ducati items.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

This from the article on the clubs' visit to Bologna in 2007 - there are still a few spaces left for this years visit in early October...

"Along the line we are able to examine individual items in detail. Sander and David pick up cylinder liners and pistons; the latter displaying flat crowns with valve cut outs and residual skirts providing little more than ring grounds and support for gudgeon pins. For those of us more used to 62mm pistons the bore is colossal at 107mm, and a photo of one is sure to make it into next year’s calendar. Although most parts are sourced in Italy, Morini use other component suppliers where required – the pistons are from America, the oil cooler on the Corsaro from Austria (as used for KTM), flywheel and some similar components from Japan."

Ducati and Ducati Electronica are different companies (as I am sure you know)...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Sander

Post by Sander »

My pictures from the factory visit are still online.

This is the first picture of the visit.
twisty

Post by twisty »

like a kid in a toy shop looking at the factory pics

brilliant :lol:
V-Fun

Post by V-Fun »

Hey Sander
The photos are awesome! and I'm going to have a good look at them all tomorrow...Well done!

I'm like a kid looking at the ultimate toy shop!!

Thanks for the link.

Regards
Stephen R