9 1/2 coming

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
Mark N.I.

9 1/2 coming

Post by Mark N.I. »

Well the dart is away, great wee bike, good fun, but need a few things sorted that I just didnt have time or funds to sort so I let it go and im now awaiting an '07 9 1/2 in black. Looking forward to getting it and getting back on the roads.
Will get pics and thoughts up when it arrives in a week or two

Mark
9 1/2: by no means a lesser Corsaro
Emmohaswheelsagain

9 1/2

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Mark,

Pleased that another forum member will be enjoying the delights of this under rated Morini. I hope you enjoy the bike whether you be riding or as I do some times just admiring its clean classic lines parked along side a multitude of Japanese sports bikes. Sometimes it is good to be different :lol:

Regards

Paul
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi Paul,
Yeah I cant wait for it to get here.
Ill be riding it as much as I can and Ive always believed thats its great to be different.
No Jap sports bikes in this house, the morini will be parked up beside a '78 Yamaha XT500, a '93 Guzzi 1000S and a '06 BMW K1200R covered in carbon fiber :twisted: .
Cheers

mark
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Well it arrived on Tuesday there, but only got it out to-day for a run, 90miles in total, so good we run. Only 21 miles on it so running in time, but what a bike, limited to 5500rpm for 1st 500 miles, didnt even see that, power is unbelievable, brilliant bike, loved every minute of the run, very stable, engine braking takes a bit of getting used too.
Really enjoying the bike, hopefully taking it away next weekend down south with a BMW and a Suzuki, fingers crossed for good weather.

Mark
Emmohaswheelsagain

New Arrival

Hi Mark,

Well its finally arrived and it must feel quite different to the dart. I would suggest that being limited to 5500 rpm will not seem such a problem at those revs you are still pushing on, certainly when compared with the dart at the same revs. From my experience the first few weeks you need to run yourself in, get use to the bike, its power delivery and particularly the way it handles on different road surfaces. Smooth roads are fine but the bike can become excited if you hit a few bumps. I find that slow in and quick out is the best policy as the bike will not forgive you like the little Morini's. Be smooth and you will quick without even trying. I'm sure you don't need my advice and you will soon adapt to this fine machine. Just enjoy.

Regards

Paul
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.
Yeah I wasnt anywhere near 5500, was changing gear around 4.
had it over all kinds of roads and seemed to be good and stable, except 1 time i was on the white line, didnt like that all.
Yeah im finding that is the best way at the min too, just till i get confidence with the bike and get to know it.
when its clean and dry I'll get some pics up
Cheers

Mark
Emmohaswheelsagain

9 1/2

Hi Mark,

How goes the 9 1/2
I'm sure you have now had a chance to do some more running in.
A couple of things you might find useful. The tank from full should take you 115/20 however for peace of mind and allowing for when you will be enjoying the bike I find 100 miles is a good time to fill up. When reserve light comes on you havn't long and its a big bike to push. The display, rev counter/digital display can scratch easily. Do not try to wipe clean with your gloves you will scratch, which in heavy sunlight can obsecure the display.
I have the standard tyres still and would welcome any feed back you have. My back tyre lasted under 3,000 miles which at £140.00 a time can come a bit steep.
safe riding :D

Paul

ps Have a look on the web site www.usedbikeguide.co.uk
look in the readers report section.
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi Paul,
Yes in the week I've had it, even with the crappy weather I have still managed to clock up 400 miles, so not too bad.
Been brilliant fun even with only 5500 revs, like it needs more.
Thanks, that is very useful about the tank, think i was just getting over that before the light was coming on, around 140 miles.
OK cheers, I'll be very careful with the display.
I actually read your report before I bought the bike, it was very useful.
To be honest, i dont like the rubber thats on the bike, it doesn't like white lines or any joins in the road surface at all, will be glad to see the back of them, think I'll be going for a set of Dual compound Bridgestones.
All being well I'm off down south over the weekend and will let you know what i think of it on a good 3 day trek.
Cheers

Mark
Emmohaswheelsagain

9 1/2

Hi Mark,

Give us some feed back when you change your tyres as data is hard to come by with this bike, so few of them about. I've been told pilot 2's are a good combination for wear and grip. You certainly need both.

Cheers

Paul
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

They wont be changed till they are done, too dear to just throw away as you know, but will be changed to Bridgestone Battlax BT021r Sport Touring tyres. This is what my dad is running on his K1200R and after 1200-1300 miles you wouldn't know they had turned a wheel, yet he thinks they are great, you can feel the front end and they stick nicely
Hope that helps for now

mark
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

Its getting close for me to decide on my next bike, the 91/2 being my present preferred choice. I now have a concern about the noise. Have to keep noise down to a reasonable level where I live.

Two questions: Does the 91/2 have the same level of sound as the Corsaro, or is it a little quieter?

If the standard pipes on a 91/2 prove a little to loud, what is available to soften it without too much penalty?

Thanks,
Gary
Emmohaswheelsagain

Noise

Gary,

Not sure on the noise relative to the Corsaro however like all big V twins there is a fair rumble even on tick over. As always your right hand will determine how much. Of all the Morini's the Gran Passo is the best so I must assume it must be possible to muffle the big V.

Paul
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Gary;

There is less exhaust noise from the 9.5 - and it is also quieter to ride as the "induction noise" is also less - less of a thrill on the acceleration. As Paul notes, the less you snap open the throttle, the quieter the ride :wink:

I don't think that there is much difference between the 9.5 and the Granpasso - if anything the latter might be slightly noiser on tickover, but not so loud when its being ridden.

I wouldn't have said that any of the bikes were noticably too loud - although I've less experience of the Sport / Scrambler (have they reached your shores yet?).

The agony of choice has just got worse as Morini look set to introduce their take on the Motard - it looks fantastic - and noiser than ever...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Mark N.I.

Post by Mark N.I. »

Well the the bike is now up to nearly 1300 miles and has had its first service and 1st weekend away.

Issues:
-not 100% struck on the tires, not bad but not great, then they were designed for the classic duke's
- on its weekend away it tried to shake off the small heat shield and the gear selector, that was fun
-had the high beam problem i had heard about but was in fog/mist early yesterday morning

-love the sound of the air intake when you twist the throttle :twisted:
-love the power and torque from the motor, over takes a piece of piss
-rear brake that actually works is nice
-big comfy seat
-easy switch gear

I still have so much to learn with the bike and be smooth with the power especially round bends.
I have a few wee plans for next season, right now im just enjoying the good weather.
Think thats all for now

Mark
Emmohaswheelsagain

Good to see Mark that you are getting the miles on the clock. You thoughts regarding the bikes strong and weak points are very similar to mine. The gear linkage is something to watch it can fall apart if not checked on a regular basis. Tyres too, particularly the front could be better. This is no bike for a passenger unless they have strong arms, it is impossible to ride smoothly. You do improve in time, I have found slow in quick out is the best way through the corners. The good news is that the bike continues to thrill, it is exciting, challenging and continual fun.

Safe Riding

Paul