Forgotten Era Speed Hill Climb 350 Morini MKII

Show us your projects and restorations

Re: Forgotten Era Speed Hill Climb 350 Morini MKII

Postby 72degrees » 20 Aug 2017 16:12

One or two little settling down jobs done. The front header pipe was a bit loose and was also starting to pull out of the silencer joint. All tightened up but I really must tweak the 2:1 properly before next season to get better ground clearance on the left hand side.

Gear linkage adjusted to suit my snazzy new Alpinestars boots.

I discovered the plain clutch plates were pitted with rust (despite being new last November) so I've cleaned them up and the clutch is now not so binary (the shimming was still perfect), but I will borrow the 375 stack for the next event anyway. Riding that yesterday reminded me how sweet the clutch is.

Still starting OK on the NLM pickup but it requires more than the one kick that the 375 does. I keep meaning to dig out a pair of the 350 Marzocchi rear shockers I have in the shed to compare length and stiffness of springing. I could do with them being longer but a bit more softly sprung than the Konis currently on it.

So nothing to do now except wait for Manor Farm and Wiscombe in September. Time to get the GFR an MoT.
72degrees

Postby 72degrees » 08 Sep 2017 11:09

Well the FE MKII is starting reasonably well now on the NLM pickup. Needs a starter jet open for a while to warm up though. I thought I'd give it a last manometer balance before this weekend and was gratified to find it spot on, despite having tweaked the throttle stop screws by ear to get a consistent idle while fiddling with the ignition timing. It may be my imagination but perhaps the accurate (by my standards of accurate) timing on both cylinders is assisting with the balance. I think I'll pop the strobe in to the van anyway to possibly do bedding in checks on that - though the weather forecast doesn't sound to good for outdoor fettling. We will see how it feels on the first practice run.

I dug out the (350) Marzocchis to find that they are shorter than the Konis. No wonder the steering is nice and sharp. So they are staying on to keep ground clearance until I can adjust the rear header pipe.

I'm also going to ride the KTM for a change to make the diesel cost for a 350 mile round trip worth it. Two events on two bikes means - wow, a total of possibly as much as 10 minutes riding!
72degrees

Postby Ming » 08 Sep 2017 13:06

72degrees wrote:...I'm also going to ride the KTM for a change to make the diesel cost for a 350 mile round trip worth it. Two events on two bikes means - wow, a total of possibly as much as 10 minutes riding!

Well, you could always ride them more slowly... :wink:

Good luck, keep the black side track side down.
Ming

Postby 72degrees » 10 Sep 2017 20:53

Ming wrote:Good luck, keep the black side track side down.

Not so much black as mud coloured. I 've never seen the paddock at Wiscombe so muddy in <calculates> 37 years of going there.

Well at least it carried on starting OK, but if there's a performance boost from the NLM pickup I can't say I noticed it. Not ideal conditions to be fair.

Possibly the slowest ever runs up that hill on any bike. Still, I got to the top four times on the wee vee and at one stage I was only a second or so quicker on the KTM - then it dried up a bit and I just pointed and squirted the two stroke. The new carb on the KTM shows promise but it's not quite right - a good job the lad wasn't riding it.

The 'Vincent Straight' handlebars are perfect, so they will be staying on.

Whether to bother with Hartland Quay next month - now that is the question.
72degrees

Postby 72degrees » 11 Sep 2017 06:24

Very sedate at Manor Farm. Note the two stroke finger hovering over the clutch lever. Old habits die hard and to be fair I had just jumped of the KTM.

Manor Morini.jpg
Manor Morini.jpg (284.8 KiB) Viewed 427 times
72degrees

Postby Butch » 11 Sep 2017 16:55

Looking good. I'm fortunate to have a few bikes, but whenever I'm tramping on with the H1 the left hand figures start to hover expectantly. Mostly subconscious - before I notice I'm doing it. And it's the only bike I find myself doing it on.
Butch

Postby 72degrees » 02 Oct 2017 11:27

Morini Hartland Oct 2.jpg
Morini Hartland Oct 2.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 295 times

So the end of season meeting at Hartland Quay turned out to be another wet one. Despite getting soaked on the way down and overnight the Morini started OK (helped by keeping plastic bags over the pod filters until ready to go). I couldn't summon up much enthusiasm for pressing on through the wind and rain so my times were pretty rubbish. Not helped by a tendency to feel as if it was going on to one cylinder as I opened up after the first hairpin. Because it was starting OK, idling impressively slowly and reliably, and cleared if I dipped the clutch and got the revs up I didn't check the obvious. Washing it this morning I found the front plug cap wasn't clipped on to the plug properly!

I've decided that the proposed engine/top end swap is not really worth the hassle so I'll leave it as it is but tweak the rear header pipe to give more ground clearance (for when the lad rides it at least). The winter fettling will concentrate on putting some parts on the 2C/275 from the donor 250 that are in better condition. I've just put some new Hagon shocks on that with adjustable damping. They seem very promising just on the standard settings but I also probably need to treat the forks to an ATF change and review the spring pre-load arrangements. Then there's the latest result of the n+1 effect to fiddle with - a 1970 Gilera '98' Seigiorini ;)
72degrees

Previous

Return to Projects