250 2C

Show us your projects and restorations
lawman

250 2C

Post by lawman »

I have just found a 1980 250 2C and it is in pretty good condition.

I imported it from Japan and I don't believe there are many in Australia if any. I think they are a fairly rare bike. Any one know how many were made?

So far NLM have been great and supplied a new side cover for the bike but what I need to know is are the exhaust pipes painted or powder coated.

They have a fair bit of corrosion on them that I would like to clean up. Would it matter which way I went with them? I need to make sure that the manufacturers marks are still visible.

I will post pics soon and I have lots more questions.

Frank
V Twins howl in the morning!
EVguru

Re: 250 2C

Post by EVguru »

The 250 (239cc) came about because the French market had a tax break at 240cc, so I'd image quite a few went there. It was twice the price of any other 250 in the UK.

I think the pipes and silencers were originally black chrome, but the silencers might have been painted, or it could have varied.

This was how mine looked, but the silencers had been refinished.

Apply whatever finish you think is going to last. Modified Morinis are pretty much the norm, often not even coming out of the factory in catalogue spec!

Most of what applies to the other Morinis applies to the 250, but like the 125 and 250 singles, it does have a wet clutch, rather than dry, so it's advisable to change the oil more often and the clutch can stick if the bike has been standing for a while. To free the clutch, mount up and start the engine. Paddle the bike along as fast as you can and select first. Pull the clutch in and it should free off immediately. They seem reluctant to free off any other way.

Check out my Youtube channel for various Morini tips and Soren's too https://www.youtube.com/user/Sir1HH
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
lawman

Post by lawman »

Thanks for the info EVguru. I will decide what to do with the pipes after I have had a good look around. I expect it would be difficult to find someone that could do black chrome.

Also thanks for the links.

The bike runs great and will be back on the road in 2 weeks and I am so glad that I found it.

I have always liked bikes that are a little bit different.

Frank
Tom

Post by Tom »

Beauty! That why we are here, just a little bit different from the norm!
lawman

Post by lawman »

I found a company in Western Australia that do black chrome and I will contact them. There is also a company in New Zealand that can do it.

I think it will probably take a while to have it done and I would rather have it as close to standard as possible.

Frank