Show us your projects and restorations
lawman

Pictures of road worthy bike

Post by lawman »

speedo.jpg
speedo.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
morini-left-side.jpg
morini-left-side.jpg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
I took the 250 for its first longish run today and it ran beautifully. I did over 100 kilometres which was problem free.

I must admit that it is a real problem starting from cold but I am happy to bump start it. The kick starter is next to useless unless she is warm but it is a great bike to ride.

No real buzzy feeling at 100k but finding neutral is interesting when stopped at traffic lights.

This is one cool bike.

Frank
Attachments
morini-right-side.jpg
morini-right-side.jpg (73.24 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
V Twins howl in the morning!
72degrees

Re: Pictures of road worthy bike

Post by 72degrees »

Sounds as if something is sub-optimal in the ignition system or perhaps a bit weak on the idle mixture? Do you use one or two choke toggles to start from cold?
It's a long time since mine had a 250 engine in it but I don't remember it being difficult to start.

I took mine for a ride today after sorting out the ignition failure it had on the way back from the Classic TT. It ran OK but isn't starting quite as eagerly or idling as reliably as it did with the pickup fitted then (though it ultimately failed). Didn't do a fine tuning check of the timing with a strobe first though so I'm hoping that may help.

The short, remote, gear linkage (retained on mine with a 350 engine) isn't brilliant and develops play in the lever pivot and rose joint. Worth stripping it down and giving it a really good lube anyway. Can't remember if the wet clutch was worse than the 350 dry one for finding neutral but popping it in before you actually stop is a good dodge.

Glad you are enjoying it.
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Hi,are you in Australia? Is that mileage genuine? That poor starting sounds like your flywheel needs remagnetising, fitting new steel plates sorted out the neutral selecting problems on my bike.

Dave
lawman

Post by lawman »

Hi Dave,

Yes I am in Sydney and as far as I know this is the only 250 in Australia and Stuart at NLM has been brilliant. The bike was found in Japan and had been sitting for many years so I believe the mileage to be correct as the bike is totally original and shows no signs of use. Now I just have to clean off the surface rust.

I use both chokes to start but have not been able to get it to kick when cold.

Frank
V Twins howl in the morning!
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

That does sound like a weak alternator rotor. See if you can find someone who can do Vespa rotors, they're essentially the same.

Contact me if you get stuck. I have a magnetiser and we could probably find people to courier a rotor.

BTW You can assemble the 'ace' bars the other way up for a slightly more relaxed riding position.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru