250 GP Racer

Show us your projects and restorations
MarkB

250 GP Racer

Post by MarkB »

I couldn't afford the real thing, so I had to settle for the Protar 1:9 scale model. Sadly I ruined the investment value of the kit just by opening the box, but Morinis are meant to be used, aren't they?

Some parts are excellent quality but some (such as the wheels) are rather crude, so I cut off the plastic spokes and made my own out of 0.5mm piano wire, and spoke nipples out of 1.2mm brass tubing. The chain is fully articulated and I had to rivet each link together with a soldering iron... It's taken rather a long time, but with just the front wheel left to do, I should be ready for the 2017 GP season.

"I'll have a V please, Bob."
72degrees

Re: 250 GP Racer

Post by 72degrees »

I built one years and years ago. Not with so much care and dedication. That's lovely. Sadly I looked after it even less assiduously than my real bikes and it went the way of all things. Probably finished off by not packing it properly for a move of house.
texaskitty

Post by texaskitty »

It's looking good. Protar = Tarqinio Provini, who perhaps should have/could have won the 250 world championship on that bike in 1963. 2017 Moto 3 GP season? Why not; it's a 250 single.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

texaskitty wrote:It's looking good. Protar = Tarqinio Provini, who perhaps should have/could have won the 250 world championship on that bike in 1963. 2017 Moto 3 GP season? Why not; it's a 250 single.
Well, not quite that bike, even Provini would not fit..... :)

Morini made 35 HP (?) latest Moto 3 making 55? Just need a few million dollars and it'll be good.. We need to buy more new Morini....
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:
texaskitty wrote:It's looking good. Protar = Tarqinio Provini, who perhaps should have/could have won the 250 world championship on that bike in 1963. 2017 Moto 3 GP season? Why not; it's a 250 single.
Well, not quite that bike, even Provini would not fit..... :)

Morini made 35 HP (?) latest Moto 3 making 55? Just need a few million dollars and it'll be good.. We need to buy more new Morini....
Not, in my case, until they make one that isn't a "Wuthering Heights" machine.

I'd like to see Morini make a big deal of their small capacity single heritage and build something really tasty. I reckon Lambertini could take on KTM with a cut in half, reduced capacity bialbero corsacorta unit. Something like the RC390, or the Duke 200, but then they would never sell would they?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The problem is development costs. Which is why a lot of smaller bikes are made in India....
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:The problem is development costs. Which is why a lot of smaller bikes are made in India....
Indeed. Perhaps they should indulge in a bit of 'badge engineering' like the Cagiva Raptor 650 or Piaggio were going to do with their 'Nuovo Gilera Quattro" (Suzuki engines). Wouldn't interest me though, anymore than a fake Gilera (don't mention the SC125) would.