british fuel tank cap

Show us your projects and restorations
norbert

british fuel tank cap

Post by norbert »

I have a question about the tank of Dulcinea:
Obviously it comes from your side of the channel because there have been inching threads for the fuel cocks. I had to put others in diferent places. It´s capacity is about 18-19 l. The tank is suposed to be from the 60-70ies.

I have some problems with the ventilation of the cap and don´t have any idea how to open it. Maybe some of you now that cap. It seems to be from Wolverhampton. Also I don´t know how to take the cap of from the tank, and don´t dare to touch it till I don´t know for sure how it works. Also I´d like to know wether anybody knows where to fins the rubber sealing that already doesn´t look great.

08-10.jpg
08-10.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
k-DSCI0008.JPG
k-DSCI0008.JPG (34.63 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
k-DSCI0009.JPG
k-DSCI0009.JPG (40.25 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
Any idea?
norbert

Re: british fuel tank cap

Post by norbert »

This tank normaly should be fixed with a leather or melatic belt.
k-15-03 (1).JPG
k-15-03 (1).JPG (88.32 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Norbert, those caps are used on a lot of British and Italian stuff, specials and original. Known as Monza caps, they are normally pivoting on a 'roll pin'. I don't know yet what the German name is! Sorry I don't know how they come apart yet, feel I'm about to learn! (Rollen Stift!)

All the caps I see have a nut underneath so would be easy to take apart but yours looks to be something like 'pop vernietet'? If you compress the spring holding the seal can you see any other fixing? Or unscrew the centre 'niet'?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi Norbert,
I may be wrong (not too up on British parts) but I think your cap is an Enots "Monza" cap.
Companies such as Unity Equipe sell tanks with caps that look suspiciously like yours and are also sold separately as accessories in two sizes - 2" and 2 1/2" (51 and 63mm). No seals are listed but a phone call might say otherwise. A google search for enots throws up many suppliers.
good luck,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Candess Ltd are a firm located in Wolverhampton and still in existence. Address; Dixon Street, Wolverhampton WV2 2DX phone: 01902 872000 Web: candess.co.uk email; sales@candess.co.uk. Enots who were down the road near Dudley, I did not think made filler caps. There is on the Velocette forum and explanation how to dismantle a candess filler cap, but I think it is the bayonet type. I have two of the type you have on one of my cars - twin fillers, Monza type which Candess make in various sizes. The outer caps screw onto a spigot which because you cannot get to the inside of yours, is probably welded to the tank. I also had a similar tank to the one you have Norbert, which was fitted with the same filler cap. They are not difficult to dismantle, so you will kick yourself when you get it apart. If you contact candess through their email they are very obliging and will give you and explanation.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Thanks a lot!
So I´ll have to contact them :wink:
norbert

Post by norbert »

This is, what I found. But I´m not sure that I really understood
http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/1.4/1.4-444-26.pdf
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

You found it! I think the explanation is for the brass chrome plated caps that you push on and give a twist about 35 deg. Velo's changed to the various 'Monza' styles in the 60's with the Clubman and Thruxton models. They are flogged on ripoffbay but maybe Chinese crap ones. One of the car clubs I am in had Candess remanufacture a batch of caps that were standard on the cars produced in the 50's. I still have the original on mine which were chromed and I do have in the shed an original from the 1940's which is identical to your one but is a 3inch one ( about 75mm). Contact C & S they should be able to help you, they like to show people around if one should ever go there.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

I was glad I took apart my regular morini fuel cap since the inside was very rusty. It wasn't obvious looking at the cap until it was disassembled.