Brand New Scrambler - Help!

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
Musclemoto

Brand New Scrambler - Help!

Post by Musclemoto »

I have bought a new Scrambler from UK into India. What a beauty she is, just brilliant. I Charged the battery up and filled air into her tyres. Noticed that the coolant level is not upto the markers on the reservoir, please advise me on the below:

1. What spec coolant can I use other than Bardahl?
2. The color is pink in the reservoir but unsure what make it is. I have asked 3x to confirm the same so I don't have to drain and refill.

3. Tyres: It has Anakee hybrids and the owners manual lists pressures for off road knobbies, pls suggest pressures.

4. Engine oil: Alternative brands and spec in place of Bardahl.

5. Anything else you might want me to be aware of from you experiences will be greatly appreciated.

The 6 month wait to get her home was tough and winters here so cant wait to take her out, but can't risk on coolant.

Thanks for the help guys!
RHThomas

Re: Brand New Scrambler - Help!

Post by RHThomas »

Hello Musclemoto,

Congratulations on your Scrambler, that 6 month wait must have been tiresome. I have one too and it's exceeded all my expectations...

In answer to your questions:

1. I used Putoline coolant, you'll probably need only a few spoonfulls (unless it's got a leak) so I don't suppose it would matter what brand you use as long as it was designed for modern motorcycle engines eg. Puttoline etc.

2. Hopefully 3x will let you know. I'm pretty sure they don't use Bardahl fluids when servicing, not a well known brand in the UK.

3. My handbook specifies 2.2(bar) front 2.4 rear for "Michelin" tyres, which the Anakees are. The knobbly optional tyre is a "Metzler" Karooo so I think it safe to assume the pressures relate to the Anakee.

4. I use Castrol Power 1 Racing fully synthetic 10w-50. I would think any quality motorcycle brand which is fully synthetic 10w-50 should be fine such as Puttoline, Motul, Castrol, Shell etc. A similar spec car oil would not agree with the wet clutch.

Hope this helps, have fun with it and post some photos of it in it's new home!

Cheers,
Robin
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

Thank you very much for the info Robin.

I have been eagerly waiting for a reply to my post as there have been many views but no replies but the wait was worth it. I am expecting a reply from 3x today as promised by them last week.

Here are the pics of her in its new home. Just towers over everything in the garage incl the mighty VMAX. Well, I guess its the way Italians do things, simply brilliant and beautiful.

Chait
Attachments
IMG-20111015-01729.jpg
IMG-20111015-01729.jpg (212.68 KiB) Viewed 22482 times
IMG-20111014-01716.jpg
IMG-20111014-01716.jpg (213.3 KiB) Viewed 22482 times
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Wish my garage was like that! :)
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

RHThomas wrote:Hello Musclemoto,

Congratulations on your Scrambler, that 6 month wait must have been tiresome. I have one too and it's exceeded all my expectations...

In answer to your questions:

1. I used Putoline coolant, you'll probably need only a few spoonfulls (unless it's got a leak) so I don't suppose it would matter what brand you use as long as it was designed for modern motorcycle engines eg. Puttoline etc.

2. Hopefully 3x will let you know. I'm pretty sure they don't use Bardahl fluids when servicing, not a well known brand in the UK.

3. My handbook specifies 2.2(bar) front 2.4 rear for "Michelin" tyres, which the Anakees are. The knobbly optional tyre is a "Metzler" Karooo so I think it safe to assume the pressures relate to the Anakee.

4. I use Castrol Power 1 Racing fully synthetic 10w-50. I would think any quality motorcycle brand which is fully synthetic 10w-50 should be fine such as Puttoline, Motul, Castrol, Shell etc. A similar spec car oil would not agree with the wet clutch.

Hope this helps, have fun with it and post some photos of it in it's new home!

Cheers,
Robin
Robin,

I have had a reply from 3x and they happen to use Silkolene Pro Cool as coolant and Silkolene Pro 4 15w-50 for engine oil or equivalent grade.

We get Motul and Shell back here. We don't get Silkolene here so I'm thinking of ordering the stuff.

Im yet to figure the quantity of coolant required for drain and refill and also the engine oil qty required for an oil change. Not listed in the manual.

I am going to top it up with Motul MotoCool coolant tom.

Chait
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Voxan used to recommend Motul 15w -50 (Voxan) that used special additives but I used Castrol RS 10w - 60 (on the advice of a Voxan dealer) as the Motul wasn't available in the UK. A car oil, but I had no problems with the wet clutch on the Voxan. I did with the starter sprag clutch from shortly after the bike was delivered but that's another story. I can vouch for the Silkolene motorcycle 4T oil that I used on the hill climb Nordwest though.
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

I figured its 3.5 liters for oil change and 3.6 liters with new filter, was in the workshop manual :D . Wouldn't worry about the engine oil change anyway as she is still sitting pretty with 8 delivery miles on the odo. Going to ride this weekend....yay yay yay
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

MickeyMoto wrote:Wish my garage was like that! :)
Dream it!! Do it!! :)
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

As Robin said it just took 50 ml to top up coolant and now she is ready to ride! Cranked her up yesterday and put her on idle to check the fans and they kicked up around 98 deg. Powerful fans them!!
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

Nice Garage!

Glad 3X ot back to you. I notice from the workshop manual that it recommends Agip Oil & coolant. Just another choice although probably not that widly available where you are...

As you have since descovered, 3.5l needed for an oil change, 3.6 with filter, I can confirm this having done an oil & filter change. I'd probably be inclined to change oil & filter after the first 600 miles.

Even in our cooler climate here, once in slow traffic the temp goes upto 98 but the fans keep it under control even on a hot day in bad traffic.

You'll just love the growl that comes from the airbox when you give the throtle some stick.

Cheers,
Robin.
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

Thanks Robin!

Agip is available back here in semi-synth, if I'm lucky they may get the right spec for me. For now, i have sourced the readily available 300v 15w-50 for the R1 and 5100 4T 15w-50 semi synth for the GSX1400, service due on both bikes.

So you are suggesting that i do an oil change at 600mi (1000km) and i reckon the manual says 1500 kms.

And I will be riding the Scrambler in a few hours from now. Im thrilled to bits :D
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

I must admit, I didn't check the manual about first service, most bikes seem to be at 1000k (600mi). I guess I would do what the manual sugests....

I guess you can get 3xto send an oil filter? If not, North Leicester Motorcycles (NLM) http://www.northleicestermotorcycles.com/ ship worldwide, they are the main source of parts & expertise for the classic Morinis of the 70s & 80s but are also dealers for the new Morinis as well as MV Augusta. Rob in spares is very helpful.

Enjoy your ride!

Cheers,
Robin
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

Picked up three filter kits along with the bike from 3x. NLM doesn't have many parts in stock and suggested i get in touch with the German dealer. I will be picking up a Bike Cover and the rear mudflap bag from them. Hope the parts and accessories situation improves as stated by NLM by the end of this year.