Scrambler - Clutch Master Cylinder Leak

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
Musclemoto

Scrambler - Clutch Master Cylinder Leak

Post by Musclemoto »

Guys, took the Scrambler out for a short spin around town and riding temp was between 93-99 Deg cel. After reaching home i notice that there are multiple leaks from the clutch Master cylinder. The cylinder was neither hot nor the cable overheated, all normal. Too early for the rubber gasket to give up. Could it be over filled in the first place? Both the clutch and brake master cylinders are filled above the viewing pane level, don't see oil move up and down. Here are the pics! Please advise.
Attachments
IMG-20111113-00073.jpg
IMG-20111113-00073.jpg (223.33 KiB) Viewed 12529 times
IMG-20111113-00068.jpg
IMG-20111113-00068.jpg (205.71 KiB) Viewed 12529 times
morini_tom

Re: Scrambler - Clutch Master Cylinder Leak

Post by morini_tom »

It's possible that it's been overfilled and the level is just settling. I would remove a small amount of fluid and keep an eye that the level does not go too low or that it does not continue to weep.

Once you're done and it's all back together, don't forget to pour a kettle of boiling water over the master cylinder to remove the corrosive brake fluid and save your new paintwork. Be careful that you don't get too much in your electrics, but make sure that anywhere which may have been exposed to even the smallest amount of brake fluid gets a good flush.

So what are your thoughts on the scrambler? Worth the wait?
Emmohaswheelsagain

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

I've had a similar problem with my 9 1/2 with fluid weeping from the clutch master cylinder.
In my case after 5 years of use I put it down to a perished gasket.
Time will tell however with so few out there even North Leicester have little or no knowledge of any faults to look out for.
Something to keep an eye on though. Have you had any issues with the operation of the clutch particularly when riding in heavy traffic? The 9 1/2 prefers the open road and will get very hot in traffic. Fans cut in at 90c and do there best to cool the bike but it can and does stall when its gets hot which can be a pain.
Does the Corsaro share the same clutch if so has any one else had similar clutch/fluid issues.

Safe Riding

Paul
Bondo

Post by Bondo »

I've had an issue with my front brake on my 9 1/2. Ocassionally the lever came most of the way into handlebar before having an effect, a quick pump put it back to normal. This was put down to the fact the bike sat in bike shops for two years before I bought it. They bled the system and it was OK for a couple of months. It happened again and this time they think its a seal in the master cylinder. Under warranty, the importers [Eurobike in New Zealand] supplied a master cylinder as Brembo won't supply just the seals and require me to get a complete master cylinder unit. They don't have the original Morini unit, the one that came has a black lever, no adjustment on the lever, a different location [inboard] for the mirror and an inconvenient location for the wiring. I suspect its for a Ducati. The shop has cleaned everything and put the old unit back together which got me home OK. We are waiting for an answer from Brembo regarding availability of correct Morini unit.

My bike has also always had an induction noise under any kind of load below 3500 RPM. It clears up completely by 4000. They took the tank off and said it seems this is a design flaw and is probably common to all Morini's with this induction system. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has the same thing. Has anyone tried putting foam or the like in the induction? I should explain that the shop working on the bike is a Triumph Ducati dealership and they do so under Eurobike as obviously Morini dealerships few and far between here.

Bondo
twisty

Post by twisty »

same problems with the clutch handlebar reservoir on the corsaro, constantly weeps.
Musclemoto

Post by Musclemoto »

Thanks everyone for the advise. I took her out again for registration inspection and it was very hot, really hot i mean. The reservoir didn't weep and no other issues. Will take her out on a long ride and if she weeps again, i will reduce the brake fluid.
morini_tom wrote: So what are your thoughts on the scrambler? Worth the wait?
The Scrabmler is a joy to ride and was definitely worth the wait. All the riding mates say she is a piece of art. Does have some rough edges on the quality front though, i found some excess paint chips on the tail piece and a bit of detailing here and there but can retain them as quirks of intelligence and beauty. Great bits like Marazzocchi forks, Excel rims, awesome engine! Love the bike
Emmohaswheelsagain wrote:
Have you had any issues with the operation of the clutch particularly when riding in heavy traffic?
A bit different i must say, compared to normal clutch work, i have had her stall a few times and got used to to releasing it the way it likes to be engaged. A bit unusual though, i have to give more throttle and slowly engage probably its the way the Morini's are. It also stalled when shifting gears in traffic when i brake. What are you experiencing?
Emmohaswheelsagain

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

That has been my experience from time to time but not a general problem.
Over the three years of ownership the bike has been fine, yes minor issues but in the scheme of things nothing to make me too concerned. It isn't and will never be a bike for the commute but living in rural Lincolnshire I rarely see any amount of traffic anyway. I'm sure you will enjoy the scrambler.

Safe Riding

Paul