Srambler-Offered at £6300 on manufacturers webiste

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
stridey

Srambler-Offered at £6300 on manufacturers webiste

Post by stridey »

Hi
Newbie here and first post.

I am interested in a new Morini and see on the manufacturers website that they are now offering a red Scrambler for approx. £6300.00 which seems very cheap for such a bike?
Does anyone know the reason for this?

Are they about to go under again?
Do any of the bikes come with ABS and ATC? Cant see these listed in the specs but kinda hope they are standard on a modern 1200?

I have read good reports on the scrambler on here but if anyone has more comments I would be pleased to read these before I make (if I make) the plunge.

adamsson

Re: Srambler-Offered at £6300 on manufacturers webiste

Post by adamsson »

Some are ex-demos but the scrambler is new so I guess just shifting old stock.

The factory looks to be a holding operation just to keep things ticking over until the market picks up if the market picks ups.

As to ABS or traction control, no sorry but it isn't really a modern 1200 it is six years old. If the market picks up then they will need to update the design or they will be uncompetitive. To be honest bike manufacturers worldwide have got problems and I don't see a solution.
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

As I read it from the website, they are offering bikes made as demonstrators or display bikes.

£6300 is a very good price when you consider the list price was over £10,000 back in 2009.

Don't forget you are not having to pay the cuts taken by the importer & dealer. Perhaps a Ducati Streetfighter would cost similar ex factory? Do you know if you would need to pay shipping etc?

I own a 2009 Scrambler and am very happy with it. Never had a bike with ABS and ATC so maybe I don't miss what I don't know....

Cheers,
Robin
stridey

Post by stridey »

Thanks for replies.

Shames about no ABS or ATC.

However price is good and I see today the colour scheme is yellow.

Delivery to UK service centre is about £370 inc dealer prep but first reg fee extra.

Robin could you give a bit more on ownership please?

I am in Somerset (Ilminster) so not far away?

cheers
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

Hello Stridey,

My previous road bike was a Monster 1000 and the Scrambler is everything the Monster wasn't,
it's more comfortable, rides much better over our rough, pot hole riddled roads we have in Wiltshire (I'm near Marlborough by the way), goes 160 miles to reserve, the mirrors work and don't vibrate. The engine is of course laden with torque (and couldn't compare with the air cooled monster). I am very happy with this bike.

I got a rack from 3X when I bought the bike and have done a couple of weekends camping (no pillion) and use the Kriega US packs and can get 70 litres of luggage on neatly with no problem.
The rack fits both the scrambler and the 91/2 I think.

Keep an eye on the tyre pressures as the 'tubeless' spoked rims eventually start to loose air, this seems to effect all the models with spoked wheels, as discussed on the Gran Passo forum. The fix is to simply get inner tubes fitted.

I run the standard Michelin Anakee 2 tyres, although I think the bike looks impossibly cool with knobblies, the Anakees are much better for tarmac. Who needs over 100 bhp offroad, I find 40 gets me in to enough trouble in the dirt...

If you go ahead, let us know how the buying process & delivery go, will you have it shipped to 3X?

Cheers,
Robin
Attachments
IMG_0032vs.jpg
IMG_0032vs.jpg (171.79 KiB) Viewed 17518 times
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

Hi Robin
I used your bike for a day when mine went in 3x for new wheels under warranty and it does ride really nice, I usually run the nobby's but while the granpasso is in dock I'm running the scrambler on tourances and it's no were near as good as yours was on the anakee's.
Hi Stridey
I have sent you PM
Butch
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

Interesting Butch. That's why I'm loathed to change to a different tyre, I can only imagine I'll be disappointed...

One other thing I meant to mention Stridey, this month's Ride magazine as a feature on the new Morinis with esteemed members of this club giving their experiences.

Cheers,
Robin
stridey

Post by stridey »

Cheers Robin and others for your continued input. I did read the Ride mag feature and this is what made me think about it.

I have decided not to go ahead with the purchase of the scrambler on this occasion due to having 2 bikes in the garage already both of which are adventure type and have asked myself do I really want another one?

Thanks again and may see in the future.

cheers
Thatch

Post by Thatch »

Stridey, shame you passed on the scrambler. They are brilliant bikes. I've spent a bit of time on my buddies Tiger 800XC and the scrambler is strikingly different, even though they are roughly similar types of bikes. I could definitely see having the scrambler along with a Tiger, GS, Super Tenere or the like and not feeling remotely like you've got just another version of the same bike. My scrambler is paired up with a cruiser so they are worlds apart, but I'd have a hard time saying the scrambler was much like any other bike out there. But to each his own. Best of luck with things.

On the current bikes... is it just me or do the current bikes have horrible paint jobs? Perhaps it's just the photography but all the plastics look... well, plastic. They all have this sort of dull shine to them that makes the parts look like extruded plastic toys. I'm not sure what they've done there but that was actually one of the things that made me go with a used bike instead of new. That and the fact that the dropped the two tone scheme from the scrambler. I always loved the black and white bike (of course mine has a custom paint job on it, so go figure)

Finally, on the tire/tyre front. I'd strongly recommend looking at the heidenau K60 scout. They are really nice dual sport tires with a consistent contact patch for road use but still have some good aggressive tread for off road. They are said to be very long lasting as well. I will be going to these tires over the winter.