Small brake pedal

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
Thatch

Small brake pedal

Post by Thatch »

Hey guys, been riding the scrambler for a while now and other than just the normal issues of figuring out the particulars of a new bike, and determining that riding it the same way I do my Thunderbird will end poorly, the experience has be a lot of fun. The powerband is a great blend of torque and hp and even with the knobbies it is very nimble. For a bike that I'd not even seen one in person before buying (had a long standing internet love affair with the scrambler, but being originally from the states I'd never actually seen one) I couldn't be happier with the bike. There is however one issue I have... the rear brake pedal. Good lord that thing is small. I'm a fairly big guy (6'6" (right at 2m) and the way I have to sit on the bike my foot angles out a bit on the peg, missing the pedal completely if I just press forward. To cover the brake I have to ride the bike in a bit of an uncomfortable pigeon toed stance. What I really need is just a bit bigger pedal. The pedal works alright if I'm standing on the pegs, but normal riding it's just too small. Has anyone had this issue and figured out a way to address it? Thanks in advance.
Emmohaswheelsagain

Re: Small brake pedal

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Thatch,

The rear brake pedal is small and your are right you do tend to ride pigeon toed.
I only noticed this when I had a series of photos taken of me going through a set of bends.
My solution and it might not be ideal for all is to use the engine, all Morinis are at their best when using the right hand, yes we need the brakes
but the big V does give us certain advantages and the fun factor does increase enormously when braking is kept to a minimum :D .
I hope you continue to enjoy your scrambler

Regards

Paul
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

Never noticed on mine but I will be watching now. Don't use rear brake much only for hill starts, can't remember last time I bought rear pads, actually don't think I have ever fitted any in 43 years.
Thatch

Post by Thatch »

Well I do a lot of engine braking. My other bike is a 1700 Triumph Thunderbird which nearly requires it by the nature of the big lump. However, for a off road use and for brushing off a bit of speed on a corner or the aforementioned hill start, you can't beat a rear brake. Invariably I miss it with my foot on the first attempt. Now, I've had absolutely no problem with getting the bike stopped (the braking on this bike is quite good) I'd just like to be able to find the pedal when I do go for it.

I suspect I'll just start to adjust my riding position a bit and get used to where it is.

One quick question. How can I know if I have the slipper clutch or not? I ask because the bike I have was personally built by a Morini employee for themselves to ride. It came with all the addons you could get, wondering if the slipper was fit or not I tried locking up the rear with some heavy engine braking and it didn't. I didn't push it too hard and perhaps it wasn't hard enough to induce a lock, I just know it would of on my tbird.