Broken Swing Arm

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
corsaro chris

Broken Swing Arm

Post by corsaro chris »

UK Riders of the Scrambler (all three of them?) might want to check out the recent post concerning this on the Gran Passo topic page. This also applies to the (two?) owners of Sports in the UK.

The Factory is aware of the issue and there are some 8 occurrences out of 5,000 machines on the road - but worth checking out (although please note that cracking welds are not reliably spotted from visual inspections...).

Happy New Year, and Good Riding (!)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
nickst4

Re: Broken Swing Arm

Post by nickst4 »

What a super resource the forum is! Trawling through the Scrambler-related topics, I lit on this and, as Chris suggested, referred to the GranPasso page. Scary or wot?! :shock:

Not only did it have me looking at the swingarm on my machine, but it alerted me to the too-tight chain! I'd just replaced the back tyre and washed and lubed the filthy chain, and put the wheel back exactly as it came out while the bike was up on the Abba stand. I checked the chain alignment and it was spot-on by laser, so all looked fine. What I hadn't checked was chain tension on the ground. Here, I have to admit to having taken a fair bit of preload out of the shock, in the interests of comfort and my shortish leg-length. The thing is that the Scrambler has a very angled swingarm, so the lower the chassis sits, the tighter the chain. I know from Ducati experience that tight chains can ruin the gearbox, but at least that brand has no issues with fragile swingarms. I'm glad I caught this in time. Hopefully, my 100-mile collection ride with the ride-height still high has done no damage: the swingarm looks fine to me! :D

Cheers,

Nick
MickeyMoto

Re: Broken Swing Arm

Post by MickeyMoto »

The manual has the chain slack, you will see it has changed!