Radiator and Overflow caps scrambler 1200

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
miciouk

Radiator and Overflow caps scrambler 1200

Post by miciouk »

Hello I have a (silly) question about my radiator cap. If i understand correctly it has a one way valve that opens at 1.0 bar of pressure. What's the purpose of having coolant in the overflow bottle?

The bike seems to be overheating far quicker now and even the fans struggle to keep the temp down. I think the coolant is old (2 years..? I know sorry) what's the easiest waay to replace it and can i use any budget coolant or should i follow the booklet and find the Bardhal special one one mentioned on it

Also I have misplaced my bottle cap and finding really hard to find a spare one unless i go via NLM and wait 2/3 weeks. Can anyone point me towards a compatible one on the internet without it being the whole set which I have managed to find?

Thanks peeps
Frankie
Attachments
20160628_192653_resized_1.jpg
20160628_192653_resized_1.jpg (183.23 KiB) Viewed 15649 times
corsaro chris

Re: Radiator and Overflow caps scrambler 1200

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Frankie;

A good article in ATG 341 on just this topic by Morini Tom. He has a Corsaro but changing the coolant is the same action on all the water cooled Vs... The article also covers oil and filters, so is really a god reason to be in the Club :wink:

His recommendation is to flush the system thoroughly through with water until all coolant is out, unless using the same as previously - I'm guessing that you're not sure that that is? With my old GP 3X used Triumph coolant as they have lots of that (being a registered dealer) - the factory currently use an ethylene glycol based mix from bardahl...

Good hunting for the cap.

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

One valve opens at 1 bar allowing coolant to escape to the bottle
but there is another anti vacuum valve that lets the coolant flow
back as the engine cools down.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
miciouk

Post by miciouk »

Hi to both and sorry for the slow reply, I forgot to add the reply notification and thought I was just being ignored :roll: ... I will check the article

ciao

p.s. NLM is on the cap issue
Will

Post by Will »

Ralph wrote:One valve opens at 1 bar allowing coolant to escape to the bottle
but there is another anti vacuum valve that lets the coolant flow
back as the engine cools down.
Thanks Ralph I've just bought a Scrambler and I think the anti-vacuum valve is failing and lets coolant back into the header tank even though cooling system pressure doesn't come up high enough for this to happen. Do these radiator caps fail often and if I can't fix it, are they a standard part on other bikes?
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I had a cap fail on my 2008 corsaro. I assume all the water cooled Morini use the same cap-

It’s a standard part, easily available. I fitted an identical cap from a KTM On the advice from this forum and it’s been perfect since.

KTM 1.0 bar Radiator Cap LC50, 2001- KTM part number 45135009000

For info the morini club compiled a list of alternative parts Suppliers when the factory looked like it was closing down for good. The list may need updating now (let me know if anybody has anything to add or edit) but can be found at the below link:

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/thebikes/parts.html