Tank range and fuel light

Anything to do with the 1200 'Scrambler' series
Robin62

Tank range and fuel light

Post by Robin62 »

Hi everyone. New Scrambler owner here. Just bought it from Amore Moto. Loving the bike but got a little query. I thought the tank range should be near 180-200miles? My first tank the fuel light started flickering on around 110 and was on constantly by 125. Filled up and was getting only 33mpg. But I think I may not have filled the tank to the top before. So second tank - properly filled - fuel light started flickering on at 100miles (Steep downhill), and was almost constanlty on by 130 miles. But when I filled up it only took 14litres - so about 42mpg. More what I was expecting.

BTW I am not riding like a nutter! Quite sensible riding - nothing crazy.

But why is the fuel light coming on so early. It is un-nerving!!! According to the manual the fuel light comes on with 2.5litres to go - so a fill up should take around 18.5 litres @ 40mpg would be after 165miles roughly.

Cheers

Robin

Scrambler Low 1200
Gary D

Re: Tank range and fuel light

Post by Gary D »

Hi

I've got a 2006 Corsaro which returns low 40's to high 30's. It doesn't take as much as you'd think to drop it into the high 30's though. If I hold my gears a little on my favoured B roads, that'll do it. By holding my gears, I mean up to 5000-5500 rpm.

I hope you get some more feedback from the guys on here, but most of all I hope you enjoy your 1200 as much as I enjoy mine!

Best regards

Gary
Robin62

Post by Robin62 »

Cheers Gary, to be honest not too bothered about mpg. Won't be doing huge mileage for it to make a cost difference. I was more concerned about how early the fuel light got came on. I'll get an idea of it after a few more tanks.

Hmm maybe I was caning it. Getting to 7000rpm ish on some overtakes

When does yours light up?
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Alright Robin

Congratulations on buying a well decent bike !! Hope you enjoy it to the full.
The fuel light on my veloce has always come on around a hundred miles. If I ride sedately , I might get 105. But I don't always ride sedately , if you know what I mean !! :mrgreen:
I think the airbox is larger than it needs to be personally. You could maybe have the ECU reprogrammed to run leaner , but you may lose out on performance. I also run on super unleaded. Hope that helps ! :D
Where are you in the country ??

Safe riding Robin
Floyd

P.s. my regards to batman !
Robin62

Post by Robin62 »

Cheers Floyd, that's interesting. How far do you get after the light comes on? I just need to build confidence as to how far I've got left after the light comes on. I've got my dealer checking with Moto Morini so will post any info here.

I was also wondering about putting in super unleaded - make much difference?

Bike is great, first bike I've had for ages that I actually just want to get on and ride for the fun of it. I had a new Yam XSR 900 for 2 weeks before this came up for sale and just had to take the hit and swap it!!!!! THe yam was nice but too perfect if you know what I mean. Everything was a bit bland even though the engine was a stonker. Love the Scrambler character and style.

I'm based in the north west just up from Liverpool. I know there aren't many of us around with modern morinis so would be good to meet up with any locals.

PS Floyd - I've never heard that one before !!! ;) Say hello to Pink for me!!!

Cheers
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi again Robin;

Fuel lights and reserve are just so variable... Earlier bikes might have had a smaller reserve (i.e - point the light comes on). When talking about this with the factory last year, in respect of the GranpassoR, they told me that they'd changed the sensor to come on with far more fuel in the tank - the reserve indicator came on after about 120 miles, whereas on my GP (same tank and capacity) the light came on at 160 - 170 (or 200 miles with a long steady ride...); this resulting in 21 litres going in to a tank with a claimed capacity approaching 27...

As Floyd says, with a 17 litre tank the light is probably designed to come on with some 2 litres left - so you'd get 15 in to a Corsaro if you filled the tank right to the brim - difficult with a bike on a side-stand! I'd reckon on about 8 miles a litre, and so you'll get about 120 miles to reserve; that's when the light starts to flash. Reckon on the bike running on fumes soon after the light stays on constantly. Oh, and the bikes are quiet heavy when you're pushing them, so work out your ranges early!

Finally - how many miles has the bike done - it'll free up when run in which will help fuel use; 7,000 rpm plus is quite enthusiastic! :D

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Robin62

Post by Robin62 »

Cheers Chris. yeah I just need to do a bit more testing. The Scrambler has 21lt tank so light on after 14lt usage seemed a bit early, but not a problem if I know that and can rely on it. I'll do some more testing at different riding styles.... Also I need to get used to riding the torque rather than the revs!

Off out to The Sctotch Piper in Lancs this evening if anyone's around.

Cheers
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Now then young robin

Personally speaking , as soon as that fuel light comes on , I'm on the hunt for a garage. My record on reserve is only 16 miles ( I remember it well , I was somewhere near Ringwood ). That's when you start getting twitchy !!

Regards

Pink Floyd
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My fuel light started flickering due to the sploshing fuel then came on solid. Put in 15.6 litres to the bottom of the filler neck. That means there should be 6 litres remaining. 50 miles?

I'll do a run to fuel light and see the mileage, although I think it should be 150 miles... maybe.

Nice engine. See my other post for more on the Scrambler.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

144 miles, then went off and on. Now solid at 156 miles. 45mpg?

200 mile range.
Robin62

Post by Robin62 »

145miles solid light, takes 17.5 litres. 38mpg. So run dry around 180?
However the last 50 miles were on a dyno!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Seems right. I'm picking mine up on Tuesday from the first service and going for a 220+ mile ride, I'll report back.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Running up the A1 got to 152 miles and put in 14.8 litres. Light not on. Had filtering (Dartford tunnel and A14) steady 75 cruising, 60 mph traffic, acceleration from 50 to, er, 70...

Standard map, now running much better.
Robin62

Post by Robin62 »

Wow seems much better than mine. I must stop using the fun handle so much! Although I've not done a steady motorway run of that long so would get better mpg I suppose. All interesting. time will tell I"m sure. Cheers.
wyseoil

Post by wyseoil »

Sorry about the late reply, but just returned on a weeks 2200 mile trip around Germany, Czech and Austria on my Scrambler. Returned average of 40mpg on motorways and mountain twisty roads. Cruising speed around 5000rpm at 90mph.

One concern I do have is the ease of the rise in engine temperature. On the move the gauge settled nicely around 75-80 deg C, but soon as riding in towns or stop/start at lights, the temperature hits the 98 deg C which is when the radiator fan kicks in. This drops the engine temp to 93 deg, when the fan stops and allows the temp to build up again...quickly.

Has anybody had to replace the thermostat at all on their bikes?? as this maybe faulty on mine.

I have owned my 2009 bike since last July (now covered 11K), lovely bike to ride and big grin factor. I recently fitted a rear rack (sourced from Morini £££) and screen for the European trip.

Rgs, Simon (based Ashford, Kent)