175 front fork repairs

Lambertini era singles (125 and 250 - half v-twins)
zurferjoe

175 front fork repairs

Post by zurferjoe »

Hi folks , I have got a pair of 175 Turismo single forks complete amd qould like to repair them as the fork legs are very pitted and I would like torepolace them . The fork leg is screwed into to the front axle holder casting and wont unscrew .I have tried WD 40 , lots of heat but not budging at all.I have made an aluminium collar to put the fork leg in when I tighten it up in the vice and give it all the strength i have but nothing !! Any suggestions please would be great
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
themoudie

Re: 175 front fork repairs

Post by themoudie »

Hello Joe,

Try soaking the whole lower assembly in a mixture of diesel and paraffin (50:50) for at least a week. Then apply heat to just the aluminium casting.

There is also a very good release fluid in a spray can 'Bulldog BDX' that I have found to be very effective at freeing seized parts.

Link:Bulldog_BDX

As for the heat, have you tried an induction heater as used by plumbers/engineers to heat localised areas of metal rather than heating the whole assembly. Also for rapid cooling of an area an aerosol can of water pipe freezing fluid can help quickly contract metal.

I hope this helps.

Good health, Bill

Hallo Joe,

Versuchen Sie, die gesamte untere Baugruppe mindestens eine Woche lang in einer Mischung aus Diesel und Paraffin (50:50) einzuweichen. Dann Wärme nur auf das Aluminiumgussteil anwenden.

Es gibt auch eine sehr gute Trennflüssigkeit in einer Spraydose 'Bulldog BDX', die meiner Meinung nach sehr effektiv bei der Befreiung festgefressener Teile ist.

Link:Bulldog_BDX

Was die Hitze betrifft, haben Sie eine Induktionsheizung ausprobiert, wie sie von Klempnern / Ingenieuren verwendet wird, um lokalisierte Metallbereiche zu erhitzen, anstatt die gesamte Baugruppe zu erhitzen. Auch zum schnellen Kühlen eines Bereichs kann eine Aerosoldose mit Gefrierflüssigkeit für Wasserleitungen helfen, Metall schnell zusammenzuziehen.

Ich hoffe das hilft.

Gute Gesundheit, Bill