2C Slow progress

250 2c- the Wee-WeeVees
Steve Brown

Re: 2C Slow progress

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote:So, are Morini spares about to hit Ducati highs? :)
I certainly hope not as I still need some spares for my bikes.

Ermm, I certainly hope so as I have a pile of stuff here to shift. Next autojumble stall already booked...
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Ming

Post by Ming »

That's one of the reasons I'm not too worried about 'originality'.

In other news - the slow progress has just about finished and I'm about ready to take it on the road, I think I'll wait until spring though, as individual bikes have to be insured over here and with 7 in the stable it's getting a bit pricey (and likely to get more so with 'our' Brexit deal). :roll:
Ming

Post by Ming »

Only 11 months since the last report - though I have spent some time on it between. I managed to repair the left hand switch and obtain a new support, the engine starts easily and runs sweetly, but I found that the regulator was not working. Fortunately I had a spare old Boyer power box which I've fitted - giving me 12V and no need for a battery as a bonus. Refit some bodywork, etc tomorrow and I'll be ready to insure it and road test. I am not expecting a large bill as the company I'm with class any bike over 20 years old as 'collection', which decreases the premium considerably, plus you enter a scale whereby subsequent bikes are given discounts. I now have 6 bikes over 20, the last one is a BMW R850R and cost a princely 13€ for 3rd party cover (with recovery)! Pictures and ride report to follow (when we get some dry weather).
Ming

Post by Ming »

Bike is now insured and ready for final road testing / set-up. It's dry just now, so here's a couple of photos of the 'family group'.
Collection 1.JPG
Collection 1.JPG (196.08 KiB) Viewed 13532 times
Collection 2.JPG
Collection 2.JPG (187.06 KiB) Viewed 13532 times
I shall probably give the tank and front mudguard a blow over, VW Mars Red looks like a fair match.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Beautiful,
who's going to ride the other two while you're on the 2C?
Ming

Post by Ming »

Good question Julian. The answer, at the moment, is that nobody is riding anything at the moment. If I venture out I have to take a certificate of justification with me to explain why I'm out, at risk of a fine if I don't have one. Add that to the fact that I am 'at risk' with a compromised immune system, so not going out anyway. They could all be highly polished by the time this is over - or covered in cobwebs! :lol:
Ming

Post by Ming »

Ming wrote:...They could all be highly polished by the time this is over - or covered in cobwebs! :lol:
And the answer is - - - cobwebs.
The 250 has been back on the bench all year as I found an oil leak from the front rocker cover due to one stripped thread. I then found that the leak was masking one from the cylinder head, but apparently from relaxed head nuts. I removed the head to helicoil it for the stripped thread and took the opportunity to clean the piston crown. All reassembled, running and clean, but still waiting for the opportunity to road test as there is no category of 'attestation' to cover pleasure trips on motorbikes (and a swingeing fine if you are caught!).
More news as it happens.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

At least it is legal in England to just go for a ride with one other friend (or your worst enemy)! I Sorn'd my bikes so need to dig out the BMW for a ride. Better make the most of it before Historic vehicles are banned from the roads.

I have noticed that some French people have called the document required to leave home as an ausweiss...
Ming

Post by Ming »

MickeyMoto wrote:...I have noticed that some French people have called the document required to leave home as an ausweiss...
Well, there are plenty over here who appear to share Yorkshire traits... :shock: :lol:
It does appear to be effective, though.
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

Hi, I see you had the head off yours and wondered where you got the head gasket from. Good write up of your bike. Keith
Ming

Post by Ming »

I re-used the one fitted. It looked OK and torqued up to the specified figure OK.
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

That's fine then thanks. I have just dismantled the clutch and now need parts for that. The half plate has left it's friction sections nicely stuck to the clutch housing. The friction plates arent too bad but might replace all the plates. Any idea where I might get some please, thanks
hendre

Post by hendre »

you cna get them at any Surflex selling point
http://www.surflexclutches.com/Surflexc ... ane%29.pdf
(page 9)
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

hendre wrote:you cna get them at any Surflex selling point
http://www.surflexclutches.com/Surflexc ... ane%29.pdf
(page 9)
That's really helpful. Thanks.
Just ordered a set so now onto piston rings
Ming

Post by Ming »

At last, more progress. After about 4 years of ownership I have done most of the little jobs required to get this bike back on the road. Went for a run this afternoon and am most impressed! A little gem. Still odds and ends to do, may even give her a paint job sometime...
In the meantime I'll try to get a few more km on the clock.
J lhs.JPG
J lhs.JPG (242.7 KiB) Viewed 7504 times
J rhs.JPG
J rhs.JPG (222.39 KiB) Viewed 7504 times