Wet or dry clutch ?

250 2c- the Wee-WeeVees
rossguzzi

Wet or dry clutch ?

Post by rossguzzi »

So I thought the 250 had a dry clutch like the bigger brothers. Am I correct ? If it is wet, what are the ways oil gets in and out ?
Cheers.
hendre

Re: Wet or dry clutch ?

Post by hendre »

I think the V has a dry clutch but the single a wet clutch like his 125cc little bro... correct me if I'm wrong
for wet clutches the left engine (clutch) cover is different to the dry clutch versions
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The 250 V has a wet clutch.
Ming

Post by Ming »

The V does have a 'one piece' clutch cover, ie no easy access to the clutch. I've never looked inside, but there is an article in an old 'Which Bike', No 48 'Little Red Rooster', revealing that the clutch is wet as opposed to the dry clutches of other models. Sump capacity is still 2.5l though. It's an interesting article, if you want a read, Hombre has a link to it which he may let you in on if you ask him nicely. :wink:
Edit - morning Pete, just beat me to it!
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

You have got my curiosity going now.

So there must be a feed and a drain. Any 250 owners like to elaborate ?

Also, do the 250`s display a smooth or grabby clutch ?
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, have a look at this and scroll down to view several images.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crankcase-En ... Sw2hxcDoHL

You could meanwhile experiment by putting the bike down on it's right side (remove tank and battery), pour some oil in the clutch housing and seal the cover with lots of silicone.
You will then know if a wet clutch is an improvement or not?
Yet it is probably not going to do what you want and you will have contaminated the dry clutch plates; best not to bother.
norbert

Post by norbert »

The dry clutch can work fine if everything is well adjusted, using the special nylon washer and a center without marks.
Apart from sealing problems, I suppose you don´t think of opening the crankcase towards the clutch. This would require another oilfiltersystem.
"Don´t change a winning team" :wink:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Try Emery cloth rather than 'wet or dry'?

My taxi has just arrived, I'll grab me jacket...
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

The 250 2C wet clutch is not a separate compartment it is all part of the main crankcase and primary drive lubrication area The 250 wet clutch has different plate construction compared to 350 the composite driving plates are partially equipped with friction material.The all metal driven plates are similar to dry clutch
Our 250 has nearly 70K miles and the clutch is just showing signs of wear occasional slight slip under heavy load. The wet clutch is smoother and less grabby than even a well setup 350 but does have the feeling of stronger springs and also the cable routing on the 250 with low bars means less than ideal i.e tighter cable bends. we have always used 10W/40W semi synthetic designed for motorcycles. I never see any contamination of the oil with clutch material unlike the dry clutches when often there is debris in the clutch housing.
The 125H clutch is the same construction but with fewer plates.
Even if all the engineering obstacles could be overcome the 250 wet clutch likely would not cope with the 350 power remember the smaller bikes had the wet clutch from their inception.
350 clutch setup should be a different thread.
Mark
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Thanks for that. I was just curious.