matching taps

250 2c- the Wee-WeeVees
ainsty rider

matching taps

Post by ainsty rider »

fed up with a slight petrol leak, I thought I would treat the little bike to a pair of matching petcocks, unfortunately matched10mm fitting taps seem hard to find.
a pair on US Ebay asked $40 postage. there are odd Chinese taps but I would like to find Italian. I am sure they are out there, I am hoping members may give me a clue
many thanks Roger
George 350

Re: matching taps

Post by George 350 »

Hi Roger, what model are we talking of? My 350's have M16x1 threads on the tank.
If you do have 10mm, then classic Ducati have a nice one at £28.95 each that are just like the Orlandi square ones.
Be aware of the Chinese 'pitbike' stuff- the Italians like 1mm pitch threads on their fuel taps!
Motomecca have Guzzi taps avsilable, but I have no idea as to what thread they used.
Hope that this helps,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Oops! My bad. Sorry to ask what model. I realise now in the morning after you have a 250.
Comments above still apply, and you also may well find ebay Italy your friend...
George.
George
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Roger.
Nice to hear from 250 2C owners.
The standard taps are 12 x 1 mm. L.H.
Mdina Italia have the lefts 34.02.07, rights not listed.
This was as it was when I got a pair of lefts
from NLM 2 years ago. But worth checking if
They have the right now.
Most importantly they work fine.
Old taps from any source will
likely have internal rubber non ethanol
resistant so why bother.
Secondly. They look like the Paioli taps.
Thirdly. They are rear outlet so you can use
2 left taps back is off on the left and
forward is off on the right.
I retained both reserves and we
usually run with both taps on.
Any way if you ride with any other bikes they
Always have to fill up before you :D
The output spigot is smaller so a piece
of smaller tube is required to adapt to the
Existing pipe bore but thats no big deal.

Cheers
Mark
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi Roger,

If, as Mark says, you really need a 12mm tap(s), then for under £12 each posted,ebay is quite good. I typed "Petrol Tap 12mm x 1.00mm" in the search and you can get left outlet, right outlet, straight down and outs, with on and reserve too.
If yours are 10mm as you say, then the choice is still good.

Hope that this helps,
George.
George
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

What Mark said.
Ming

Post by Ming »

I have fuel tap problems, too. As said, they are 12mm and on mine are made by OMG in Italy, though there are alternatives on Aliexpress and ebay - look for Puch fuel taps, they were fitted to many mopeds. One of the rubber seals is deformed on mine and doesn't shut off properly - which might not be a problem if the float valve was not also well worn!
The part number is (I think) 0220132264, but I cant find any on this side of the Atlantic. I have contacted OMG to see if they still have any. Will post any result.

As an aside, has anyone used the Dellorto triangular float valve as a replacement for the square?
davel182

Post by davel182 »

I think Mdina have the seals for those taps (part number Seal14mm) but at £6.52 each I bought a small sheet of Viton rubber off eBay and cut my own.
ainsty rider

Post by ainsty rider »

Thanks everyone for info on matching taps for my 250 2c, i punched out the rivets on the worst offender and mended it as a short term fix, the fuel that had leaked out marked my newly powder coated casing, obviously not very happy i searched the internet and found a site cyclingcolours-france on ebay loads of interesting bits and pieces including petcocks. i put my order in for one which included the left/right hand connecting nut, three months on i am still waiting, first time for everything i suppose . thanks for your advice i keep looking . also is it possible to clearcoat powder coatings, i wondered if it would make it ethanol proof Thanks Roger
Ming

Post by Ming »

Just to say that I've bought from cyclingcolours-france without any problem. Still waiting to hear from OMG - otherwise it's the viton rubber and craft knife method...
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

Hi Ming,
Thanks for your reply regarding the Carbs. I also need taps for my 2C as I only have one and the other is missing. The one I have is seized solid so best to get a pair of taps. Could you tell me which direction the taps outlets point as need to order the correct ones. I can see they are 12mm x 1mm so looks like Mdina but might shop around first.
Thanks again
Ming

Post by Ming »

The taps on mine are OMG. The outlets were facing forwards, but both taps operate in the same direction, so off is forward, on to the left and res to the right, which just doesn't look right to me. There are taps available on ebay and Aliexpress for little more than a fiver, you can search by size, or by moped name, such as Puch, Honda Camino. I'm waiting to see if I can fix the leaking seal on one of mine as the taps are in very good condition.