Engine gasket set for the 2C

250 2c- the Wee-WeeVees
Bedfordowner

Engine gasket set for the 2C

Post by Bedfordowner »

Hi,
I have been looking for a complete engine gasket set but only seem to find the one for the 350. I cannot find if that will fit so hope someone can advise as to if it would fit or where I can get the correct set. Mdina don't seem to advertise them so not sure where to go next.
thanks
hendre

Re: Engine gasket set for the 2C

Post by hendre »

Centauro has 250cc gasket sets, only the description does not say if it is the twin or mono
http://www.centauro-srl.com/media/pdf/catalogo-moto.pdf

Athena also has 250cc sets, here also the same problem in very unclear descriptions
http://www.athenaparts.com/eng/typologi ... otorcycles

You could also buy a 350cc set and ser\perate head and base gaskets for the cilinders (from the 125cc mono), that should be ok too as the engine bottoms are identical across most models (except the wet clutch 125cc)
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,
If you cant find a specific 250 2C set go with what Hendre says, but you don't need different base gaskets.

All the gaskets for the 250-2C are the same as the 350 except the head gasket.
Including the primary drive gasket (21.01.58) even though its wet clutch, exhaust washers and
base gasket (21.01.59)
Oils seals are also common (only the two in the 350 clutch are not needed so a 350 kit is OK)

You can sell the spare 350 head gaskets on this forum.

Mark
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

Thanks for the replies. I will go through the options and see what I end up with. Looking forward to stripping the engine and see what I have got.
Keith
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,
Good luck, but do you need to take the bottom end apart? They are pretty solid machines!

Bearings are the same as 350s for example.
And 250 2C specific parts are harder to get than 350 as there is so little demand,
and very few in Italy.

All the best
Mark
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

I don't think the bottom end has a problem so when I get the heads off , I will check to see if there is any play and decide then. I have now gotten the outer case gaskets and the oil seal set. I already had the rocker gaskets and the oil filter one. I am now looking at what special tools I will need. I have the rotor puller after doing the cambelt. I think I only need the clutch locking tool as I have an adjustable pin spanner which should hold the cam gear when I remove it. If you think I may need others I would be grateful of the help
Thanks
Keith
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

think I only need the clutch locking tool as I have an adjustable pin spanner which should hold the cam gear when I remove it. If you think I may need others I would be grateful of the help
For tools you can try Tim Ralph. I recommend him.
http://www.ralphrestorations.co.uk/view.asp?g=68

The clutch tool is different to the 350 as the plates/centre are different.
Tim ralph may be able to make one, but if the engine is in the frame the nut can be undone
with engine in gear and holding the brake.

If you don't take the bottom end apart then you don't need anything else.
If you do then you need special spanner for the primary drive gear nut and a holding tool.
Did you download the workshop manual?

Mark
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi, just to add
in case you want to make your own clutch holding tool
I can send you a couple of metal plates, for postage cost.
Cheers
Mark
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

Hi Mark,
Sorry for the slow reply, been off the hooks for a few days. I have downloaded the blue manual from the club site; If you have the clutch plates available that would be really helpful. If you could let me have your paypal account I will send you whatever the cost is. I will be getting the clutch side cover off tomorrow and start seeing what the bottom end is like. Still got to take off the heads and barrels but can't seem to find any new head gaskets so wanted to wait till I had got them . Mdina do not have any in stock so will keep looking.
Thanks again
Keith
Ming

Post by Ming »

Out of interest - how many miles / km has it done? Or are you stripping it out of curiosity? Mine has around 50,000km and a life of neglect (before me) but runs well after an oil change and the normal service items.
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

Hi Ming, Only done 16000KM but has been standing for a long time. The frame is off for powder coating so thought I would go through the engine and check all is ok. The clutch was heavy but I did get her to run after a cambelt change and carb clean. I am just making sure all is well before she goes back on the road. From what I can tell, she was sat for around ten years so worth a look.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

HI Keith
If you have the clutch plates available that would be really helpful. If you could let me have your paypal account I will send you whatever the cost is.
I will PM you later

I have one spare new 250 head gasket if you cannot find them,
may be some kind soul on here has another.

Clutches are often heavy on 250s but its often down to cable routing, a new cable and careful routing works wonders.

Mark
Bedfordowner

Post by Bedfordowner »

Thanks Mark,
I have dismantled the clutch and the friction side of the half plate is nicely removed itself and stuck to the housing so now after clutch plates aswell. Glad I checked it as it could have been interesting later one.
Keith