Refitting the swing arm

The 3 1/2 forum
Monstyr

Refitting the swing arm

Post by Monstyr »

I tried to refit my swing arm today but the spindle seemed to resist all my efforts to get it all the way through.
Is this normal or is there a trick to this?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't tell whether or not they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
peterc

Re: Refitting the swing arm

Post by peterc »

Have a look at this thread re the same prob:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2544
the washer/shim position is easily confused.
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

I've got the spacer where it suggests on that other thread and I don't think thats the issue.
I'm almost all the way through, I can see the end of the spindle against the frame on the other side and it looks slightly off centre to me so that may be the problem, not sure how it could get misaligned though unless its an accretion of powdercoat on the frame hole but I'd have thought the spindle would have easily knocked that away.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't tell whether or not they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Will the spindle fit without the swing arm in place? Any evidence of burrs on the end?
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but you are trying to screw the spindle into the frame when it is nearly home aren't you?
Mine was difficult after powder coating and I had to use a tap as a scraper in the thread to get it to go in.
Good Luck,

George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
shambeko

Post by shambeko »

Can you push the spindle all the way through on its own without the swingarm? After having new bushes fitted in my swinging arm I had the same problem. I loosened the two plates on the frame which push against the inner swing arm bushes until the spindle went in easy and tightened ok. The arm fitted easily then.
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

shambeko wrote:Can you push the spindle all the way through on its own without the swingarm? After having new bushes fitted in my swinging arm I had the same problem. I loosened the two plates on the frame which push against the inner swing arm bushes until the spindle went in easy and tightened ok. The arm fitted easily then.

This was my next approach but I didn't know if loosening these plates was advisable or not.
I'll try again tomorrow as it's now been put away behind my other bikes and I need to move everything to get access.

I'm finding out how crap the powdercoating has been applied, I do suspect this may be whats causing some of the issues.
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

I had a quick go at fitting the spindle tonight and after loosening the two guide plates it finally came through the other side of the frame, this enabled me to engage the thread on the chain side and screw it all home snugly.
Hopefully I'll be able to start the reassembly now and find out where all those broken bolts used to fit.

3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Glad you got there in the end.Sometimes things seem impossible then the next day it just works.Converse is that some easy jobs become difficult the next time. I've just spent over an hour replacing a push fit nylon bush on a BMW clutch lever and it's still not right,whereas on another beemer it took 10 minutes.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Much too shiny, you'll be scared to take it out in case it rains.... :wink:

Looking good....
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

Dont think it will stay that shiny, theres still an awful lot to do and as it's the first time I've built a bike from the frame and I'm sure I'll mess it up on occasion, and other than to replace the belt, the engine hasn't even been touched yet.

I'm disappointed the powdercoat has chipped in places, some of this can be touched up and the innacessible bits smothered in grease, I had intended to replace a lot of bits but if I do that it will still be in a box for years to come so back together it will go and any old crappy bolts will be looked at in due course.

I did have a local chap ask me about bringing it to the Ayr classic show but the best I could have by then is a rolling chassis.

I'm sure I'll be on here with a list of queries before long. :)