exhaust headers / downpipes

The 3 1/2 forum
bobajob

exhaust headers / downpipes

Post by bobajob »

Hi,

Are the early and late downpipes interchangeable and if so are there any pros / cons? Armours only sell the early version and my Strada currently has the later pipes without the reductions fitted.

Thanks!
EVguru

Re: exhaust headers / downpipes

Post by EVguru »

My experience with Armors exhausts is that it may not matter which year version they have listed.

It might fit just fine, or you may start to believe that it was made for a different make of bike, let alone model. I've had to cut and shut a number of aftermarket exhausts, including those that NLM have supplied.

NLM will not do anything about a poorly fitting exhaust, UNLESS YOU TELL THEM!

The early OEM exhausts have tighter bends, but it's rare to find a replacement that is a close copy.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Bobajob, there are 3 types of exhaust collets as far as I know, so if you change your pipes make sure you get the right collets as well.
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Thanks Guys, so if I go for the earlier downpipes I'll need different collets. Quality of fit sounds like pot luck!
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Bobajob , at last you are aware of the possible problems now. I went to a 2 into 1 then spent weeks trying to get the pipes to seal before learning about the different collets required!!
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Yes thanks, in the picture now, either buy the cheaper early headers and the find some collets to fit or use the collets I have with more expensive downpipes. Then hope that it fits!

I do want to use Armours (early down pipes) as they are local so no delivery charges and a fair bit cheaper but not sure this is the best option.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi,

If Armours are local, then take the bike to them - That way they won't be able to fob you off with "its your bike- we've made 100's without complaint" type of excuses.
I know of Morini owners and Norton owners who have had the problem of Armours pipes not fitting or aligning properly, and they always say their jig is correct.

George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Coventrykid

Post by Coventrykid »

Hi
I have an Armours full system on my Laverda SF and the fit is really good only had to set it up loose first then tighten slowly, also have Armours downpipes on my 77 Strada and they are spot on.
cheers Coventrykid