Stator coil

The 3 1/2 forum
Hugo

Stator coil

Post by Hugo »

I am getting a reading of 320 ohms on my stator ignition coil, I have read previous posts and realise this is high and unusual, comments welcome, thanks
3potjohn

Re: Stator coil

Post by 3potjohn »

Can you confirm with an alternative multimeter? What was it the last time it was checked? I think I had one running at 185 ohms which caused some reluctance to start,after a rewind it was near to 300 ohms and it fixed the starting issue. I know that they can run OK at a lower resistance but that's my only experience.
John
Ming

Post by Ming »

The resistance reading is really only a rough indication of the coil's state, as it depends on the wire diameter and length of wire used in the winding, so if the coil has been wound with finer wire, more will be used, so resistance will be higher than if a thicker wire was used. I think the problem is, unless you have more sophisticated measuring equipment, it is not easy to say that a coil is out of spec (short circuit or open circuit are probably a different matter ;-) ) Have you measured the output of the coil (volts ac) on kick-over? You should get a good 'kick' on even a cheap meter with the leads disconnected from the loom.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Resistance is futile...
Ming

Post by Ming »

MickeyMoto wrote:Resistance is futile...
No, no, no Mickey "Resistance is useless" (copyright HHGTG) :D
Vogon.jpeg
Vogon.jpeg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 4130 times