Cylinder head differences

The 3 1/2 forum

Cylinder head differences

Postby Steve Brown » 09 Oct 2018 17:41

Hi all, I've always thought that all the 350 cylinder heads were the same. Eg, is a Kanguro head in any way different to a Sport or Strada head?
I'm asking as I see mentions of cylinder heads from one model or another as if they were in some way different.
Also, I'm currently trying to complete an engine for a mates Kanguro and it would be convenient to use cylinder heads I have here, that are in better shape.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown

Re: Cylinder head differences

Postby 72degrees » 09 Oct 2018 20:25

It so happens I have boxes next to me with 77? Strada heads and ?? Kanguro heads. Bad photo attached.
The only difference I can see is an extra casting 'lump' on the kanguro head (on the left) and a 'flat' on the top of the exhaust port. The rocker stud threads also seem longer (though the studs are the same length) - but they might be replacements.

The Forgotten Error has one 'old' head and one Kanguro head. So far as I can tell they are interchangeable - but perhaps the 'flat' on the port is vital for clearance if in a Kanguro frame?

Heads.jpg
Heads.jpg (191.05 KiB) Viewed 168 times
72degrees

Postby 72degrees » 09 Oct 2018 20:34

Ah. There is also more 'meat' round the exhaust port on the Kanguro head (left). Not sure why. Perhaps makes for a better thread, or better cooling.?

Ports.jpg
Ports.jpg (165.4 KiB) Viewed 166 times
72degrees

Postby norbert » 09 Oct 2018 21:08

The size of the valves of some Kanguro heads are diferent (guess the ones with Gilardoni barrels) don´t have the dates "a mano" but at least one of them is bigger.

norbert
norbert

Postby 72degrees » 09 Oct 2018 21:53

Ah, it looks as if the exhaust valves could be a bit bigger in the Kanguro head, but hard to say without getting the vernier gauge out. If they are, then the 'nice' pair I have will be going on the Forgotten error for next season!
72degrees

Postby Steve Brown » 10 Oct 2018 17:41

Thank you both for that, I'll look a bit more closely at the ports then too. He may end up with two Strada/Sport heads on it then! The X1 engine (I bought two Kanguros in bits) had an E type cam shaft in it and both had Sport pistons too. I was trying to persuade Ned the buyer of the X1 to go for Strada pistons-mainly so I could stock up on Sport items with rings to suit plated bores... 8) I think he's twigged that one though. :roll:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown

Return to Tre e mezzo